• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canada

B

Beryl M

View from the U.K. – Reflections on Canada’s place in the world
Salute to a brave and modest nation - By Kevin Myers.

The following article appeared in The Sunday Telegraph one of Britain’s larges circulation newspapers.

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops are deployed in the region. And as always, Canada will bury its dead, just as the rest of the world, as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything Canada ever does. It seems that Canada's historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored.

Canada is the perpetual wallflower that stands on the edge of the hall, waiting for someone to come and ask her for a dance. A fire breaks out; she risks life and limb to rescue her fellow dance-goers, and suffers serious injuries. But when the hall is repaired and the dancing resumes, there is Canada, the wallflower still, while those she once helped glamorously cavort across the floor, blithely neglecting her yet again.

That is the price Canada pays for sharing the North American continent with the United States, and for being a selfless friend of Britain in two global conflicts. For much of the 20th century, Canada was torn in two different directions:
It seemed to be a part of the old world, yet had an address in the new one, and that divided identity ensured that it never fully got the gratitude it deserved.

Yet its purely voluntary contribution to the cause of freedom in two world wars was perhaps the greatest of any democracy. Almost 10% of Canada's entire population of seven million people served in the armed forces during the First World War, and nearly 60,000 died. The great Allied victories of 1918 were spearheaded by Canadian troops, perhaps the most capable soldiers in the entire British order of battle.

Canada was repaid for its enormous sacrifice by downright neglect, its unique contribution to victory being absorbed into the popular Memory as somehow or other the work of the ‘British.’ The Second World War provided a re-run. The Canadian navy began the war with a half dozen vessels, and ended up policing nearly half of the Atlantic against U-boat attack. More than 120 Canadian warships participated in the Normandy landings, during which 15,000 Canadian soldiers went ashore on D-Day alone. Canada finished the war with the third-largest navy and the fourth-largest air force in the world.

The world thanked Canada with the same sublime indifference as it had the previous time. Canadian participation in the war was acknowledged in film only if it was necessary to give an American actor a part in a campaign in which the United States had clearly not participated – a touching scrupulousness which, of course, Hollywood has since abandoned, as it has any notion of a separate Canadian identity.

So it is a general rule that actors and filmmakers arriving in Hollywood keep their nationality - unless, that is, they are Canadian. Thus Mary Pickford, Walter Huston, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, WilShatner, Norman Jewison, David Cronenberg, Alex Trebek, Art Linkletter and Dan Aykroyd have in the popular perception become American, and Christopher Plummer, British. It is as if, in the very act of becoming famous, a Canadian ceases to be Canadian, unless she is Margaret Atwood, who is as unshakably Canadian as a moose, or Celine Dion, for whom Canada has proved quite unable to find any takers.

Moreover, Canada is every bit as querulously alert to the achievements of its sons and daughters as the rest of the world is completely unaware of them. The Canadians proudly say of themselves - and are unheard by anyone else - that 1% of the world's population has provided 10% of the world's peacekeeping forces. Canadian soldiers in the past half century have been the greatest peacekeepers on Earth - in 39 missions on UN mandates, and six on non-UN peacekeeping duties, from Vietnam to East Timor, from Sinai to Bosnia.

Yet the only foreign engagement that has entered the popular on-Canadian imagination was the sorry affair in Somalia, in which out-of-control paratroopers murdered two Somali infiltrators. Their regiment was then disbanded in disgrace - a uniquely Canadian act of self-abasement for which, naturally, the Canadians received no international credit

So who today in the United States knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbor has given it in Afghanistan? Rather like Cyrano de Bergerac, Canada repeatedly does honourable things for honourable motives, but instead of being thanked for it, it remains something of a figure of fun. It is the Canadian way, for which Canadians should be proud, yet such honour comes at a high cost.

This past year more grieving Canadian families knew that cost all too tragically well.

Nice article , well written...........I could write a similar article about Nepal and how brave and well those Gurkha soldiers fought alongside Britain and how shabbily we have treated them over the years.
Most of the British people only see Canada as a holiday destination and have not got a clue about the history side of the country............
Its becoming a sad old World..........populated by a blinkered society

You are right Graham it is a sad old world - The Ghurha's are very brave men - and have quite a history - The British Ghurka Regiments we did give our support -

The movie Private Ryan - was a source of irritation to most Canadians and I suspect to the British too - On D-Day admittedly the Americans lost more men on Omaha Beach- but they were not the only ones fighting this battle!

How I agree with both of you. My hubby Michael has met a few Gurkha's recently in his work, he says they are really nice guys trying to earn a living for their families which I might add is not easy for them.
I also well remember the emotion when I visited one of the Canadian war cemeteries in France!

I used to visit an elderly man in the local sheltered housing who was at the D day landings. I used to go and cut his hair but would be at his flat for ages because his stories were so interesting. He never married and his flat was full of wartime memrobilia, there was a lovely photo of him and his two brothers in uniform. His jacket hung on the door with his medals pinned in place. When he passed away realtives cleared his flat, I often wonder what happened to all his treasures. R.I.P. Tom.

The successfull Canadian forces in the first world war were under the command of Canadian Arthur Currie whose ability and carefull preperations probably made a big difference in the outcome of his battles. Yet at the conclusion of the war he seems to have had his reputation tarnished by his own countrymen. I am not sure why; something to do with winning a battle for Mons at the end I think. I don't think you can do war ever so nicely.

Last edited:
Momma P What a story you tell and what a book you could write - I think you are one kind person!

And Rupert - now you have got me going I will have to read up more on Arthur Currie - from what I can remember reading - it was nothing to do with the Battle of Mons - that he had problems with his own countrymen - it was something to do with a money debt he owed - though I could be wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:

Majestic mountains climbing upward toward the sky…..Prairies that spread beyond the eye. - Magnificent scenery that extends from sea to sea. Great forests of an infinity sequoias stand majestically ancient serenity - where wild life grow and still roam free!

Soaring eagles, roaring rivers, great lakes and cities nestled along the shore.....Golden fields of waving corn whisper a lullaby - the sunset slowly fades away beyond an endless sky……

See children playing on a frozen pond at snowball fights and slapping pucks a magic way beyond -And what everlasting pleasure standing here so silently beneath a Maple tree - hearing a deep rhythmic sound is this peacefulness I have found of what Canada means to me!

My hat comes off to our brave, dependable, and resolute neighbor to the North [SIZE=-1]"O' Canada", we shall not forget.[/SIZE]

Today is the 30th Anniversary of us arriving in Canada.
How time flies, our children were 2 and 5 years old. :)
It's another lovely day here, so we are off out for lunch.:great:

Keeping The Corps Together

Keeping The Corps Together

The Canadians who captured Vimy Ridge in April 1917, were proud of their nick name the Bying Boys, but by June of that year , Sir Julian Bying had moved on to take the 3rd British army while Lieutenant General Sir Arthur Currie assumed command of the Canadian Corps. Curries promotion occurred during a period of personal financial difficulty and political pressure, To Curries everlasting credit, these issues were not allowed to interfere with his leadership.

One of the main problems the corps needed to overcome was the gas attacks the Germans had bombarded them with. The Canadian Artillery regiments also learning to use gas as a method to overwhelm the enemy. The August battles had cost the Canadians 10,000 casualties However, the German army suffered much greater losses.

After extraordinary achievement and sacrifice the Canadians look forward to a period of rest and recovery, but despite Curries best efforts the Canadians were drawn into the Battle of Ypres – known to history as Passchendaele. The battle could be justified only by wearing down the Germans.. Currie protested – but was persuaded and obeyed.

Between March and June 1918, the Germans unleashed four major operations recovering all the ground captured by the Allies since 1914, capturing 250.000 prisoners and inflicting more than one million casualties on the Allied armies. It was all in vain. The German armies gambled everything on a collapse of Allied morale, but when the offensive ended in July, the armies over extended and exhausted faced a powerful and resolute Allied coalition under the command of Marshal Ferdinand Foch.

The Canadian corps holding ground well into the north of the main point to the German attack was initially required to place divisions under British command, but after Currie protested the corps was reunited under his control. Although the policy was bitterly protested by the British senior officers who were fighting a life and death struggle with the German army Currie was adamant that the Canadians would fight together!

Back