• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can you recognise which pub this is?

RobT

Acemeccanoman
Julie Wolverton posted this great photo on facebook of her Nan & Grandad in an inner city pub
I have asked her for her Grandparents names, no reply yet
Can any of you identify which pub the photo was taken in?

1R.jpg

its a lovely photo rob and yes the names may help...have to say it does not look like the inside of a pub to me..wonder if julie is sure that maybe her gran and grandad didnt set up their own little bar in a shed:)...lots of people did that and still do...very interesting photo..

lyn

Ah, wallop was a well known slang word for beer in my younger day. "The Old Cow" sounds more like the name of the place than the name of the beer. But I'm no expert where beer & pubs are concerned, and I won't be entering this quiz!

Maurice :cool:

There seems to be no pub that I can find called the Old Cow, though I'm sure Kieron could give a better opiniion. I agree with Astonness that it does not look like a proper pub to me, though not sure if many would go to the expense of fitting two beer engines (assuming they are real) for a home bar. Possibly it was a bar set up for an event

The railings on the right and the sunlight on the man's shoulders suggests to me that it is outdoors. Perhaps it was some sort of fete or exhibition.

Last edited:
There seems to be no pub that I can find called the Old Cow, though I'm sure Kieron could give a better opiniion. I agree with Astonness that it does not look like a proper pub to me, though not sure if many would go to the expense of fitting two beer engines (assuming they are real) for a home bar. Possibly it was a bar set up for an event
could it be a inn?

i know this may sound daft :D but those railings on the right look almost as if they could be seaside railings..could it be a mock up sea front bar whereby passers by can have their photos taken..

lyn

On this theme, here is a fairly battered photo of my wife & me when we were courting in 1963. This cameraman and set seemed to be a regular feature in Stourport at that time. Situated just off the river walkway by the bridge, I wonder if any members remember it. 1963 a copy.jpg

Last edited:
thats a smashing photo banjo...if you want it tidied up post it on the picture restoration thread im sure some of our clever members will have a bash at it for you..it makes me even more convinced that the photo on post one could be a seaside mock up

lyn

Julie now tells me the names of her grand parents were Ros and Frank Wolverton, she also says they have never owned a pub. So it looks like it's a camera shot at the seaside somewhere, like Banjo's excellent photo.
Shame really I rather liked the photo. :)

its a lovely photo rob and yes the names may help...have to say it does not look like the inside of a pub to me..wonder if julie is sure that maybe her gran and grandad didnt set up their own little bar in a shed:)...lots of people did that and still do...very interesting photo..

lyn
Lyn, I agree with you.......It looks like a stand in a park or some other place!

thats a smashing photo banjo...if you want it tidied up post it on the picture restoration thread im sure some of our clever members will have a bash at it for you..it makes me even more convinced that the photo on post one could be a seaside mock up

lyn
i recon you have won a coconut lyn.:grinning:

Back