• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this ?

smatkin

Brummie babby
This photo appears to date from the 1930's. It is among my late Aunt Mary Emily Atkin 1911-1998 of Kings Heath photos. They appear to be two well to do couples standing on a flight of steps leading to a church? doorway flanked by Corinthian columns. I assume it is in a poor district of Birmingham because of the peeping barefoot girl. On the left appears to be the base of an ornate iron lamp standard. I wondered if the people are part of my family. Atkin or Taylor or Allen or Doughty or Twist or Phillips. Any ideas are welcome. smatkinVersion 2 (17) 7.jpg

no idea what the location is but not sure its a church...cant see all of the young girls feet so not certain if she is bare foot...actually she looks like she is wearing a pinny so could be a restaurant waitress....all guess work of course

lyn

no idea what the location is but not sure its a church...cant see all of the young girls feet so not certain if she is bare foot...actually she looks like she is wearing a pinny so could be a restaurant waitress....all guess work of course

lyn
Hi Lyn
Sorry my scanner has cut off the girls feet. Please find attached a new scan.
I wondered if the building is on a hill. The lady smiling in the centre has a button hole, the others are serious an do not wear any,IMG_20200325_0002.jpg
Susan

It is a steep run of steps and continues for some distance - makes me wonder if it is Brum. More like something you would see in, say, Bristol.
Hi again,
I cannot prove it is Birmingham. My Aunt Mary lived all her life there. She did go for holidays to places like Rhyl and Boscombe. Susan

I had doubts it was Birmingham. It might be in the Black Country - Dudley, for instance, I remember was hilly.

I agree with Lyn that it doesn't really look like a church, or even a wedding party. More like an organised outing to somewhere, and having left Brum at the age of almost 24, I certainly can't claim to be an expert. But it does have an urban look about it.

Maurice :cool:

Looking at the barred windows it could be a jail or a courthouse or maybe a workhouse.
The ladies and gents look like a modern day Oliver Twist's Mr Bumble etc. :)

Thank you everyone. I have been looking at my photos and realise the smiling lady with the spectacles and button hole has a look of my great grandmother, whose mother came from Bristol ! So perhaps she is a cousin of my Aunt Mary. I have also found a photo of another cousin of the same family on Ancestry, with the high cheek bones. Identified a lady it could be. Perhaps more photos will be uploaded on Ancestry. Again very grateful for your help. On with the seach. Susan

Thank you everyone. I have been looking at my photos and realise the smiling lady with the spectacles and button hole has a look of my great grandmother, whose mother came from Bristol ! So perhaps she is a cousin of my Aunt Mary. I have also found a photo of another cousin of the same family on Ancestry, with the high cheek bones. Identified a lady it could be. Perhaps more photos will be uploaded on Ancestry. Again very grateful for your help. On with the seach. Susan
I am claiming that - see Post #9

Bristol did have lots of these steps but some have been lost to development. Christmas Steps is the most famous but I am fairly sure this is not that flight. Put Bristol Steps in google and you will see lots of images.
Of course, it may be another location!!

Back