• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

can you identify please

smatkin

Brummie babby
This photo appears to date from the 1930's. It is among my late Aunt Mary Emily Atkin 1911-1998 of Kings Heath photos. They appear to be two well to do couples standing on a flight of steps leading to a church? doorway flanked by Corinthian columns. I assume it is in a poor district of Birmingham because of the peeping barefoot girl. On the left appears to be the base of an ornate iron lamp standard. I wondered if the people are part of my family. Atkin or Taylor or Allen or Doughty or Twist or Phillips. Any ideas are welcome. smatkinVersion 2 (17) 7.jpg

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
no idea what the location is but not sure its a church...cant see all of the young girls feet so not certain if she is bare foot...actually she looks like she is wearing a pinny so could be a restaurant waitress....all guess work of course

lyn

smatkin

Brummie babby
no idea what the location is but not sure its a church...cant see all of the young girls feet so not certain if she is bare foot...actually she looks like she is wearing a pinny so could be a restaurant waitress....all guess work of course

lyn
Hi Lyn
Sorry my scanner has cut off the girls feet. Please find attached a new scan.
I wondered if the building is on a hill. The lady smiling in the centre has a button hole, the others are serious an do not wear any,IMG_20200325_0002.jpg
Susan

smatkin

Brummie babby
It is a steep run of steps and continues for some distance - makes me wonder if it is Brum. More like something you would see in, say, Bristol.
Hi again,
I cannot prove it is Birmingham. My Aunt Mary lived all her life there. She did go for holidays to places like Rhyl and Boscombe. Susan

Radiorails

master brummie
I had doubts it was Birmingham. It might be in the Black Country - Dudley, for instance, I remember was hilly.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
I agree with Lyn that it doesn't really look like a church, or even a wedding party. More like an organised outing to somewhere, and having left Brum at the age of almost 24, I certainly can't claim to be an expert. But it does have an urban look about it.

Maurice :cool:

Eric Gibson

master brummie
Looking at the barred windows it could be a jail or a courthouse or maybe a workhouse.
The ladies and gents look like a modern day Oliver Twist's Mr Bumble etc. :)

smatkin

Brummie babby
Thank you everyone. I have been looking at my photos and realise the smiling lady with the spectacles and button hole has a look of my great grandmother, whose mother came from Bristol ! So perhaps she is a cousin of my Aunt Mary. I have also found a photo of another cousin of the same family on Ancestry, with the high cheek bones. Identified a lady it could be. Perhaps more photos will be uploaded on Ancestry. Again very grateful for your help. On with the seach. Susan

Thank you everyone. I have been looking at my photos and realise the smiling lady with the spectacles and button hole has a look of my great grandmother, whose mother came from Bristol ! So perhaps she is a cousin of my Aunt Mary. I have also found a photo of another cousin of the same family on Ancestry, with the high cheek bones. Identified a lady it could be. Perhaps more photos will be uploaded on Ancestry. Again very grateful for your help. On with the seach. Susan
I am claiming that - see Post #9

Bristol did have lots of these steps but some have been lost to development. Christmas Steps is the most famous but I am fairly sure this is not that flight. Put Bristol Steps in google and you will see lots of images.
Of course, it may be another location!!