• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can you help me find Leonard Wicks grave, Yardley Wood.

BrummieJayne

master brummie
I have recently found out that my Grandfather may have sadly died in his 40's, we have no record of when or where, but he was living in Northfield in Birmingham in 1950 and a newly discovered cousin of my mums has a recollection of going to Leonards funeral when he was about 15 years old, he believes in Yardley Wood. This would be about 1950 or so.

I know Leonard's wife left him so he would have been going through a sad time in his life, heaven knows why he died so young but we would love to find out more, and find his grave or death details.

Thanks again x

hi jayne
just picked up on your request about a len wicks
it may be of use and it may not be the same lady
but does a elsie wicks come to mind as a relative
i knew an elsie wicks from way back
i hope this may be some intrest not to worry if that
not the elsie wicks as any useto you '
best wishes astonian ;;

Hi,
Not really familiar with anyone called Elsie unfortunately. Leonard's parents were Joseph and Alice, his brother Joseph Maurice married a 'Bessie', dont think the Elsie you knew was any connection, but thanks for asking!

Hi

A Leonard Wicks married a Phyllis I Peat in Bham 1936 JAS quarter ref 6d 30

Looks like she married again in 1946 to a Herbert E Baum - index says spouse's name Phyllis I Wicks or Peat OND quarter.
ref 9c 1208

Leonard Wicks was living with Phyllis Irene Wicks in 1945 at 176 Hanging Lane Northfield.

By 1950 Leonard Wicks was living at 10 Rock Avenue Northfield .

I will search the death index for you.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks ever so much. I know pretty much the info you gave me, as another kind member told me electoral roll dates last week. I just cannot find Leonards death info.
The sad part is, Herbert Ernest Baum was Lodging with Phyllis Irene (my Mums mother) and Leonard (Mums father) around the time of the war, and she later married H. Ernest Baum. Leonard in 1950 is not with his family and I believe was in lodgings and may have died soon after. I am hoping he didnt take his own life through depression, but I really would like to find out what happened to him. My Mum was adopted by her Aunt as Phyllis Irene didnt really want her around the time H. E baum turned up, and Mum lost contact with her real father Leonard.
Any death info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for you time. x

Hi

there is a death for a Leonard Wicks in 1961 Bham aged 54 AMJ quarter
ref 9c 117. This would make his birth around 1907. Does this tie in at all?

Suzanne

That could be Leonard, maybe the cousin who remembers going to his funeral age about 15 got muddled with another funeral at that age? I will write and ask him, as that would account for me not finding any death records around 1950.
Leonard was indeed born in 1907, so that ties in perfectly. Just have to buy the certificate now and hope its the correct leonard and see if I can find out any more/where he was buried etc.
Thanks again Suzanne, you are an angel.
Jayne x

Glad to help Jayne and I hope it turns out to be the correct certificate.:)

Suzanne

Hi - once you've confimed the date of death you can email YardleyCem&[email protected] and ask if they'll search the records for you re the plot. You have to pay for a grave certificate but if you just want a reference to visit they seem to do that for free.

Good luck!

Thanks for that, but I have already asked them and they can find no trace of him there. They were very helpful though, and did suggest a few other near-by places to try, as there are a few cemeteries close by.

Maybe when (If) the certificate I have ordered comes up trumps, I will be better armed to find him, and can ask them again.

A bit of a tough one to track down.

Thanks again. x

No I haven't but I will now, thank you. I guess Brandwood/Yardleywood could easily be mixed up in a 50 year memory! Worth a try.
Thanks for that.

Just wanted to thank you gee-em. I contacted Brandwood Cemetery - who are lovely people, and I have found Leonard buried there. Thanks for the tip! Wouldnt have thought of looking there without your help.
Jayne x

Back