• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

can you decipher this surname?

ladylinda

master brummie
Hi all,
I cannot for the life of me decipher this surname. It's been transcribed as Migan,but it doesn't seem right?
The lady in question was a Sarah Jones (maiden name) born All Saints district in 1868. She was still at home with her parents in Birmingham in the 1891 census, so would have had to have married between 1891 and 1911 and I can't see anything that vaguely matches marriage-wise.
Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes or two may help?
Thanks in advance!

hi lynne looks like a G if you compere it with the g in daughter but i dont think the first letter is an m compering with the m in married..mind you im not very good at this..
lyn.

sure of gau as it is written same way in daughter ?
The first leter is definately N compare that with M in handwriting so N,,gau..

Last edited:
It might help if you could post more of the page, ladylinda, so that we could see further examples of the census taker's handwriting.

Chris

On the basis of "Furniture Remover" the nearest to the first letter is an R. In that case, I'm with Wendy - Regan!

Chris

On the basis of "Furniture Remover" the nearest to the first letter is an R. In that case, I'm with Wendy - Regan!

Chris
Sorry Chris have to disagree R in furniture remover has a loop at top ??? surely Tom....... Sorry chris you may be right it does have a loop at top thought it was from above line ??? sorry lol

Last edited:
i think you are looking at the wrong bit jean. some other people on the same page are hemsley. have a look at post 1 for the name that needs transcribing :)

Back