• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can anyone identify this Birmingham house, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGray

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone identify this Birmingham house, please? It was almost certainly in Aston / Ladywood, and maybe on Moseley Road?
RosedalePlusUnidentifieds.jpg

Hi MGray,
Given the quality of this property (gorgeous picture by the way) I would think it is still around today. On that basis I have checked the census records for "Rosedale" (in the areas you mentioned) and have then gone onto google street view to check. No luck so far I'm afraid.

Searched newspapers. Here’s a “Rosedale” in Penns Lane Erdington - date 5/12/1923 from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph. May be a complete red herring, but worth considering .... Viv

6A6EE952-6165-413E-B005-633E1D64513E.jpeg

thats exactly what i was thinking jan...if its a family photo we maybe able to search a surname...possibly even a census year depending on the date of the photo

lyn

I wonder why someone has blurred the name up on the wall. Enlarging the photo shows (I believe) pixel changes!

I wonder why someone has blurred the name up on the wall. Enlarging the photo shows (I believe) pixel changes!
That's very odd, if true. I can see no reason for it, however. After all, the relative who has digitised it from a family photo album that is at least 100 years old, is as curious as I am to learn the identity of the building (and by extension its people).

Perhaps they were using PaintShop Pro and over-sharpened that section to try and read it, I've done that myself before now.

Rosedale seems to be a common house name. I did a search last night and Kelly's listed a large number and there would doubtless be others not listed.

A beautiful house, can't imagine anyone would want to demolish it...…………...but there are a lot of Philistines about.

same here jan...rosedale was a common name so the photo could have been taken anywhere really....
Yes, a common name, but if it was indeed on the Moseley Road, there's a chance it's still standing and that someone on here might have thought they knew it. I don't assume it still has that gate of course, or the name. And I agree that it would be better if we could see the writing on the wall panel, but we can't... It looks as if perhaps we've hit a dead end here, but in any case I'd like to thank you all. I have other queries but I'll resist asking them straight away. Again, thanks to everyone who has responded.

providing i have the correct george lingard he was at 273 moseley road in 1881 and at 327 moseley road in 1871

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back