• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uniforms of WW2

bee

Brummie babby
Can anyone identify which branch of the services this is. My uncle is amongst this group and I am sure that he served at sea. He would have enlisted in Warwickshire.Norman Higginson (2nd. rt. bottom row).jpg

Looks like coastal defence to me which would make it Royal Artillery (or, later on, even Home Guard). Could be the real thing or a training establishment. Is there sufficient definition in the original image to dechipher what is written on the life belt, apart from what appears to be "Royal Artillery"? In particular does the original show more of the bottom half of the ring?

Someone more expert than I might get something from the image of the bloke in charge with his Great War ribbon. Cap badge? Uniform - R.A. or even Royal Marines?

Sorry, more questions than answers but let's hope for more discussion on this.

Chris

Unfortunately the bottom of the photo does not show more of the ring. However it is a postcard/photo and on the back is printed J C Lawrence & Sons, 22 Elmhurst Road, Gosport. The only other word clearly defined next to and below Royal is "Sea"

Googling reveals some interesting information about this photographer, not least that there is an online archive showing some of the historical material - and, perhaps more significant, contact details. If there is some reference number on the postcard, they may still have documentation describing who, where and when.

Chris

Arthur Evans - original.jpghelp needed if possible
would anybody know what regiment please was told he was in the scots gaurds militrey band but his name his arthur evans and served in WW2
thank you for any help josie

Thank you
Yes he is holding a violin he was in the military band and played the violin and clarinet thank you for your help
Josie

Could anybody advise which part of the Grenadier band this 'uniform' would be related to? eg concert band, orchestra etc.

My sister found this photograph in our cousins belongings. Our cousin doesn't know who the men on the bike are. We think the pillion passenger is wearing a RAF uniform but unsure of the riders uniform.

If any member can identify both of the uniforms it may help us identify the 2 young men.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

William.

Attachments

• IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 61
Is the badge on the shoulder of the rider the same as the passenger but skewed a little?

MWS I thought the same thing. It appears to have come loose - hence could be the same badge. However even with my magnifying glass I could not see clearly.

William.

Are they definitely British uniforms?? I only ask because I have a photo of two Canadian men in uniform with very similar caps/hats. Posted to England in WW2 one is a relative but we don't know which one. :rolleyes:
1613058993438.png

Nice picture. Am pretty sure they are both RAF. The right hand man's shoulder - or at least his clothing - is slightly skewed which has distorted the eagle.. Two RAF aircraftmen, just ACs, certainly not aircrew, but there's no indication of their trade - mechanics, clerks, could be almost anything. Almost certainly WW2 or, just possibly, immediately postwar. A lovely English summer's day. Nothing in the background to suggest location but just possibly adjacent to some East Anglian aerodrome.

Janice makes a good point about other nationalities. But there would normally be an insignia on the upper sleeve saying, for example "CANADA" and I don't think there is anything there. Otherwise probably no difference in uniforms for all the nationalities within the RAF.

Chris.

Ariel, the name of the bike, was manufactured in Birmingham and used as a military vehicle by the RAF. The chap at the front of the bike looks like he has a bag or something across his shoulder. Could he be some sort of a despatch rider?

Back