• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can anyone Help with Records in Scotland

mbenne

master brummie
My GGM, Helen Bench aka Ellen (Nee McCafferty)appears to have originated from Maybole and I subsequently came across a website for Maybole Ragged School, which contains an entry for a Helen McCafferty in 1850 (coincidence?), aged 13 which would give a DOB around 1838 - reason for being admitted was due to the death of both parents. There was also an entry for a Joseph McCafferty who entered the school one year earlier, aged 8yrs - related? I found some XLS records for Maybole with several familys named Mcafferty but I'm not sure if these are related or could even relate to earlier records for her parents. I've recently built a new PC and unfortunately all the info I've collected is on my old hard drive which I haven't yet installed. Could anyone help with identifying her Scottish roots, though I have a feeling that her father may have originated from Ireland?

Census for 1881 reads.....
Residence Note: Saltisford Rock
Registration Number: RG11
Piece/Folio: 3088/80
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Thomas Bench Head Male 42 Warwick, Warwickshire, England
Ellen Bench Wife Female 43 Scotland
William Bench Son Male 17 Warwick, Warwickshire, England
Henry Bench Son Male 13 Warwick, Warwickshire, England
Edward Bench Son Male 10 Warwick, Warwickshire, England
Martha Bench Daug Female 8 Warwick, Warwickshire, England
Richard Bench Son Male 4 Warwick, Warwickshire, England

MWS

master brummie
There are some census records on familysearch.

As well as the 1851 census that you mention there is a record for an Ellen Mccaferty in 1841.

Event place Maybole, other Mccafertys in household James 30, Sarah 25 both born Ireland, James 10, Sarah 2 and Joseph 1 all born Ayrshire.

And I see on her marriage father's name is listed as James.

MWS

master brummie
In 1851 census Helen is listed as Pauper Scholar, inmate at the Poors House for Maybole...

Whereas Sarah, Joseph and Peter are listed together as scholar (Ragged School) boarders of Thomas Mcvey, address Society Row.

mbenne

master brummie
In 1851 census Helen is listed as Pauper Scholar, inmate at the Poors House for Maybole...

Whereas Sarah, Joseph and Peter are listed together as scholar (Ragged School) boarders of Thomas Mcvey, address Society Row.
Thanks for your help

Spargone

master brummie
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ has loads of info - not free but pay-per-view available.
For anyone with ancestors from Scotland that site is essential, probably a world leader in how it should be done. Thank goodness A*****ory.com hasn't taken over this source!
If you are lucky enough to be looking for a less common name careful searching of the indexes can narrow down likely candidates. You only need to pay for viewing the actual record. Suppose you were looking for 'John Smith' (Oh no!) but you knew he was married to 'Esmerelda' searching for her instead (for free) might indicate which registration district(s) to try. A good map can help too. Don't forget that the National Library of Scotland has a very good collection of maps online.

mbenne

master brummie
Thats them. Their first child was born in Middlesborough, also named Ellen. She doesn't appear to feature in later census records for Warwick and spends her life in Yorkshire and cares for my GGFs first child Nellie aka Ellen born in Birmingam 1901. As far as I know my GGFs other siblings are all born in Warwick.

Jonob

master brummie
Thats them. Their first child was born in Middlesborough, also named Ellen. She doesn't appear to feature in later census records for Warwick and spends her life in Yorkshire and cares for my GGFs first child Nellie aka Ellen born in Birmingam 1901. As far as I know my GGFs other siblings are all born in Warwick.
I did find the ones you mention also found it much easier to trace "Bench" instead of "Mc Cafferty". I don't Know if you discovered Maud Bench b. Warwick 1876 sadly died the same year. John.