• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can anyone decipher this?

Looks like that to me as well. And searching with all the details available from scan - district, subdistrict, enumeration and address - results in Ada & Charles Thomas Butler and William Sullivan.

Hello, I am new to this page but would welcome any confirmation about Berners Street where my Grandfathers family, including my mother grew up. They lived at 143 Berners Street and i was taken on a Saturday afternoon to visit him. He passed away in 1954 when I was five.
We went on the Outer Circle bus No 8 and used to go into the back gate. From my and my elder sisters memory the house was NOT at the bottom of the hill ( shown on the photos and last house numbered 155) but from my grandfathers house front, you looked down the hill so 143 appears to have been the other end…? Can anyone through any light on this. My grandfathers brother lived in Clifford Street and my mom went to Lozells Street school.

Many thanks

Kath

Hello, I am new to this page but would welcome any confirmation about Berners Street where my Grandfathers family, including my mother grew up. They lived at 143 Berners Street and i was taken on a Saturday afternoon to visit him. He passed away in 1954 when I was five.
We went on the Outer Circle bus No 8 and used to go into the back gate. From my and my elder sisters memory the house was NOT at the bottom of the hill ( shown on the photos and last house numbered 155) but from my grandfathers house front, you looked down the hill so 143 appears to have been the other end…? Can anyone through any light on this. My grandfathers brother lived in Clifford Street and my mom went to Lozells Street school.

Many thanks

Kath
Welcome to the forum. Kathtap217

Many thanks

Kath
First of all - welcome, as Pete said.
Can you confrm your grandfather was Frank Hill?

Map now posted for you by Brummy-lad

I have posted a map showing No. 143 on the Berners Street Lozells thread.

Thank you so much. Can I assume that the bottom half of Berners Street no longer exists. I drove over there this morning and couldn’t work out how I remembered the street being downhill but your map makes perfect sense, thanks again

Thank you so much. Can I assume that the bottom half of Berners Street no longer exists. I drove over there this morning and couldn’t work out how I remembered the street being downhill but your map makes perfect sense, thanks again
yes kath that part of berners st went a long time ago

lyn

adding to janices post kath...click on the link below for todays street view which you would have seen today...the building on the left used to be the union pub so at a rough guess i think the house would have been near to the clump of trees on the right

lyn

Thanks so many of you for your rapid responses and knowledge. Yes, grandad was Frank and there were six children.

I think the bus must have gone along Gerrard Street, Mom sometimes took grandad a bottle of beer from an outdoor? The gunmakers Arms was closed today. looks as if it’s been closed for a while.

hi kath did you see my todays street view on post 16...the nearest pub was the union also shown on brummy lads map..the gunmakers just a little further up...sadly both closed for some years now and yes the no 8 went down gerrard st...i used to attend lozells girls school also shown on the map..

lyn

Yes, thank you I did see it and hoped I had thanked everyone, but I replied to John on another map he posted elsewhere. I am still a bit confused re replies apart from here. I must admit I was so excited to hear from anyone, even though I had read all the Berners Street posts. I am researching my family tree and have got a bit carried away this afternoon, hence delayed reply.

Thank you everyone probably have more questions at some point,

I have been able to cement my memory of the route to my grandfathers after looking at the map posted it all makes sense. Thank you all for your help

we are always happy to help kath and i guess that as we are first and foremost a history forum it could go a long way to explaining why we have been going since 2002 and run purely on donations made by our members....keep on posting:) oh i nearly forgot to ask you if you have been on the berners street lozells thread as there are 2 cracking photos taken of your grandads part of the st before fully being demolished

lyn

Last edited:
we are always happy to help kath and i guess that as we are first and foremost a history forum it could go a long way to explaining why we have been going since 2002 and run purely on donations made by our members....keep on posting:) oh i nearly forgot to ask you if you have been on the berners street lozells thread as there are 2 cracking photos taken of your grandads part of the st before fully being demolished

lyn

Thank you lyn, no I haven’t seen the photos yet. This is where I am a bit confused, difference between threads and these messages

Thank you lyn, no I haven’t seen the photos yet. This is where I am a bit confused, difference between threads and these messages
kath i noticed that you have made a post on the berners st lozells thread..it is always best to start reading a thread from post 1 that way you wont miss anything....click on the link below to take you to it...its quite a long thread but eventually you will come to the photos i have mentioned which are in colour...you will be able to see from them just how steep that part of berners st was....

Back