• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can Anyone Date This Please

B

BernardR

Can anyone date this please. I have no clues as to who it is though think it may be my Late wife's Grandfather. ? Emery(will fill name in later).

The photo looks more like a negative but is not. Seems to be made up of a sandwich of various layers though do not want to take it apart. From the front it look as if light would shine through but cannot as it was firmly taped over the back. This tape looks original.

Who_Is_This.jpg

The type of photograph puzzles me - I have 3 that look to be the same period (2 of the same subject) the the photo seems to be printed as if on negative film but a positive image with foil behind so that it appears similar to a photograph as we understand it. All are very dark - this being the best of the 3 but it only appears as it does here with some judicious tweaking in Paint Shop Pro.

If it is of who I think it is (may know more after weekend) then Paul would be closer in period.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin has a photo of her Mum and my Dad on this celluloid type material. It's very fuzzy and delicate and it was taken around 1922-3. She took it to be copied and they had never seen anything like it before.
rosie.

Hi Bernie I have this document that was given to me many years ago by a gentleman that used to live across the road from me. I think having been a semipro photographer in my time of youth I hope this may be of help to you

img042_e.jpg

img044_e.jpg

img043_e.jpg

pud

Pud I thinkyou have hit the nail on the head. I recall reading way back about a cheaper way of making photographs as it cuts down the processing time. Possibly an early form of Polaroid?

Bernie,here is the original photo taken of the gentleman that gave me the info on his camera the year is about 1920/2

img045.jpg

and this photo is of the same gentleman taken and developed by myself in 1973/5

img018.jpg

this is an unused cardboard mount or frame

img047.jpg

and this is the tin picture that would be place in the frame after being developed this one is unused

img046~0.jpg

pudding

It never cease to be amazed at the knowledge and helpfulness of the members of this forum.

Thank you from me too pudding!! You have solved a mystery.

This photo has lasted longer than the black and white Polaroids I took of my son in 1972!!!

rosie

Back