• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camps visited by Birmingham youngsters

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Camps were probably a lifeline for children in some families, especially those from the heavily industrialised, inner city areas like Birmingham. Not only could they provide health improving benefits, but also places they could help develop youngsters to become young adults. A lot of happy faces in the photos below.

This was Penrhos, Anglesey in 1939. Press cuttings from British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

3040DBBE-4E31-49A2-B4B9-2C3937AC88DD.jpegF7627FD8-7714-4BC8-845D-C9EF4D390E6D.jpeg

This is a camp in Rhyl where my Dad went in 1933. He was 14 at the time. Is there any way of identifying a more specific location. Looks like they’re camping in a field, so probably a long shot. Don’t know if any of the other boys were from Birmingham. Quite possibly. Viv.

9283E5EB-FB26-4BF9-85C9-85FE0EA8B910.jpeg57CE8BAC-9B22-40C4-A3E1-0807520B822E.jpeg

We didn't go camping but the Kingstanding Settlement club took us to a place called Windmill House, can't remember exactly where it was but somewhere south of Brum near Evesham or Alcester.
Out walking I had my first strawberries and ice cream there post war.

This is a camp in Rhyl where my Dad went in 1933. He was 14 at the time. Is there any way of identifying a more specific location. Looks like they’re camping in a field, so probably a long shot. Don’t know if any of the other boys were from Birmingham. Quite possibly. Viv.

View attachment 152021
this site has been going for yonks
Happy holidays since 1933.
Welcome to Golden Sands Holiday Park. Our family-friendly, award-winning holiday park is located right on the beach in North Wales and has been providing wonderful holidays for 86 years. Furthermore, we are privately owned and are focused on ensuring that our guests have the happiest of holidays here at Golden Sands, Rhyl.

Looks a good possibility Pete. If so, it would have been when Golden Sands first started out. Id always assumed it was a camp connected with air cadets as he had, from a very early age, a clear ambition to join the RAF. The owner of the camp (Arthur Jones) was, however, in the RNAS, so perhaps the camp was initially run along military lines. Viv.

Looks a good possibility Pete. If so, it would have been when Golden Sands first started out. Id always assumed it was a camp connected with air cadets as he had, from a very early age, a clear ambition to join the RAF. The owner of the camp (Arthur Jones) was, however, in the RNAS, so perhaps the camp was initially run along military lines. Viv.
could have been
RAF Mona - Wikipedia

We didn't go camping but the Kingstanding Settlement club took us to a place called Windmill House, can't remember exactly where it was but somewhere south of Brum near Evesham or Alcester.
Out walking I had my first strawberries and ice cream there post war.
Would this be the large house at the top of Weatheroak Hill, near Wythall, now used by the Bettel organisation.

It might be, the location looks about right but the house looks different to how I remember it, maybe it's been altered and extended over the years. As I recall it had stone steps all across the front leading to the entrance.

Time for you guys to seek out some old photos. :)

This Cinderford excursion has to be part of the September 1st 1939 evacuation, doesn't it? Fascinating extracts, thanks, Carolina, and perhaps worthy of a separate thread including a complete scan?

Chris

This Cinderford excursion has to be part of the September 1st 1939 evacuation, doesn't it? Fascinating extracts, thanks, Carolina, and perhaps worthy of a separate thread including a complete scan?

Chris
chris this is what i was thinking as well...my dad would have been at icknield school but he was evacuated to wales

lyn

Back