• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camps visited by Birmingham youngsters

We had a school scout camp July 1953 at Tal-y-Bont, near Harlech. I would have been twelve. I don't do diaries but remember Korean War armistice was signed while we were there, and I've just looked it up on Google. First time I had had lettuce and marmite sandwiches, I still love them. We travelled there by coach, Ludlow Bros. First time I had camped. Gave me an appetite for camping for twenty years to come.

My husband and I are just choosing where to travel next year. I have never been to Birmingham, so I would love to go there. I'll have to discuss it with my husband. But first, I would like to know the average prices for camping gear in Birmingham. I want to know if buying the gear in advance would be more cost-effective, or should I buy it there? By the way, I already bought a set of two LED camping lights. . In addition, I need to buy a tent, a camping generator, a tourist bagpack and a thermos. I would be happy to get your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boys leaving Snow Hill just before the onset of WW2. Wonder if any of the older boys at the back served ? Viv.

AABDA9D9-9F68-411C-BA26-ACA89B8622CE.jpeg
Source: Brutish Newspaper Archive.

It has to be quite a few of them, Viv, even though in an area Like Birmingham many would have ended up doing essential war work in arms factories and would therefore have been on the reserved occupation list - whether they wanted to be or not.

What a shame, isn't it, that despite our huge membership here in the Forum, not a single one of these lads will probably ever be identified. I'd bet that a member's grandfather or uncle is there, amongst them - but I know from my own experience just how difficult it is to recognise a face in a photograph after all those years. Worth a really careful look at each of them, nevertheless!

Chris

Absolutely agree Chris. I hope as time goes on that someone somewhere will connect the dots in their family history and come across photos like these on BHF. You just never know. Viv.

Back