• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Camp Hill locks

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Whereabouts would this have been ? It’s definitely near Bordesley. Was it one of the Camp Hill locks ? Hope someone can identify it. Viv.EA2030B8-7AD7-4E83-BA54-70C7AB296472.jpeg

Yes, it is Camp Hill locks. It is, I think,Sandy Lane lock No, 54. This was removed 1990 when the canal was diverted - to make way for a favourite pastime of BRUM i.e. roads.

Yes ! Radio Rails is definitely tuned in

It is the widened GWR Bridge and yes the canal was drained then to make the new lock and divert the canal from the original straight line of locks. The view is looking up the Warwick & Birmingham Canal (Grand Union) to the Midland Railway bridge and the top lock beyond.

Hello Viv

I discovered this forum when looking for info. on Sandy Lane. The family moved into a 'maisonette' in Sandy Lane in either 1949 or 1950. I would have been about 7 years old, and your photo brought back a memory from that time, and it's very possible that it relates to the site of your photograph.

One day, when exploring the environs of my new home I came upon a high wooden fence adjacent to a railway bridge. There was a door in this fence and when I pushed it, to my surprise, it opened. It opened onto a scene that was both exciting and scary. I entered a large,dark, damp space underneath the ironwork of the railway, The sound of dripping water echoed through the shadows and I saw, just ahead of me, a parapet almost as high as me. By standing on tiptoe and straining every inch of my 7 year old height, I was able to peer down a fearful distance to the black water of … a canal lock! I had discovered a place where the trains rumbled over the road while a canal tunnelled beneath. An awesome and magical place for a very young boy.

I ran home but told nobody what I had found. Mom and dad would have been very cross and probably banned me from 'exploring' and I wasn't going to tell other boys – then it wouldn't have been 'my' secret place any longer, would it?

Hello Viv

I discovered this forum when looking for info. on Sandy Lane. The family moved into a 'maisonette' in Sandy Lane in either 1949 or 1950. I would have been about 7 years old, and your photo brought back a memory from that time, and it's very possible that it relates to the site of your photograph.

One day, when exploring the environs of my new home I came upon a high wooden fence adjacent to a railway bridge. There was a door in this fence and when I pushed it, to my surprise, it opened. It opened onto a scene that was both exciting and scary. I entered a large,dark, damp space underneath the ironwork of the railway, The sound of dripping water echoed through the shadows and I saw, just ahead of me, a parapet almost as high as me. By standing on tiptoe and straining every inch of my 7 year old height, I was able to peer down a fearful distance to the black water of … a canal lock! I had discovered a place where the trains rumbled over the road while a canal tunnelled beneath. An awesome and magical place for a very young boy.

I ran home but told nobody what I had found. Mom and dad would have been very cross and probably banned me from 'exploring' and I wasn't going to tell other boys – then it wouldn't have been 'my' secret place any longer, would it?
what an adventure dick for a young lad...of course in those days i think us kids had more freedom to roam but that is how it was....i know if our mom and dad knew half of what we got up to we would have been in for it :D

lyn

The 1964 image, was from the Weaver Collection, taken by the late Philip Weaver, if I recall.

Some of the buildings backing onto the canal are of interest.

Back