• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camp Hill Flyover

I bought several bus photos in recent times featuring the flyover but until reading this thread I didn't know where it was. I have to admit that even seeing a photo of a bus going over it makes me nervous but obviously it was solid enough to take them safely.

6918, as one who wishes I had a pound for every time I drove a Midland Red bus over the flyover, could you post the bus photos here please so we can see them.What a pity that photos at the start of the the thread are lost.

I think the pictures from posts 5 & 9 are those below

bus_crash_Camp_hill_flyover_1967.jpg

coventry_road_FLYOVER.jpg

6918, as one who wishes I had a pound for every time I drove a Midland Red bus over the flyover, could you post the bus photos here please so we can see them.What a pity that photos at the start of the the thread are lost.

Hi Mike, I will see what I can do, they are not my photos. One is of a BCT Daimler and the other a Midland Red D9 both coming down the off-ramp.

I can't find a date when the flyover was dismantled, some sources say about 1989 while others think it was a couple of years before that.

Simon (6918)

these should be new to the forum..sorry no date as the person who took them didnt write either the location or the date on the back..just lucky that i knew where they were taken...

lyn

img509.jpg

img508.jpg

It must be in the early 60's when it was built, because it looks much too early to be at the end of the 80's when it was taken down.

Phil

I don.t think it is 60s The Renault garage in the background was not built till later.But then again I don,t think it is 80s the vehicles look older than that.I wonder if repairs were required at some time in the 70s that crane looks quite modern too. Dek

Lyn I think it it is being taken down because if you look at your first picture the type of cars and the motorbike look close at the reg numbers?

pud

hi pud..maybe someone can look up the reg nos of the 2 cars in pic 1...just notice another thing..you can see the end of the flyover in either pic so yes they could be taking it down starting at that end..
lyn

I don,t think the car reg will help to much it will tell you when the car went on the road but won,t tell you how long it has been on the road.Notice the plastic road safety cones this could indeed be the start of the demolition.Dek

hi
If you look at the first photo you can see the front end of a metro car,
which was first launched in 1980. So i think it is the demolition of the flyover.
Great photo's Lyn.

Regards stars

It seems that my first assessment of the situation was entirely wrong.

The car "Y" would have been registered in 81 I think, so the motorbike "X" would be 82. So it is very possible that it was being demolished in the mid to late 80's. If you look at the kerbstones that are being took up they are also old. If they were just laying them or they had just been laid the would be new.

Phil

Back