• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camp Hill Flyover

Mike as you say that wasn't the one I recall, anyway I don't think I have ever been back to Bristol since 67 so it couldn't have been, What road was that on.

Phil

Thanks Mike I knew I went over it many years ago and it must have been when I visited my aunt at Wooten Wawen and later when she moved to Henly in Arden. Jaen.

Mike as you say that wasn't the one I recall, anyway I don't think I have ever been back to Bristol since 67 so it couldn't have been, What road was that on.

Phil

Phil, it went from Temple Way (off the Bath Road (A4) before Temple Meads Station) on a curve over Victoria Street round towards Redcliffe. Another glimpse of it here from Victoria Street.
Mike

Meanwhile back at Camp Hill, another view. The 15 bus isn't using the flyover as it will be turning left at the island for the Coventry Road.

Mike

Are you sure the one in Temple Meads wasn't there in 67, but there again I think I may have been there in March/April 68 would it have been built then, the old memory is failing me a little especially when I try to think of the 60's, but I have this vivid memory of a flyover and an all night café just before the up ramp. I remember it being a similar construction to the Birmingham one.

The day the one in Birmingham opened like many others we queued to cross over it, we did the trip about 3 times. It didn't take much to amuse us in those days.

Phil

Attachments

• Bordesley High St Flyover (3).jpg
    Bordesley High St Flyover (3).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 37
Before it went to Camp Hill, I remember it being either stored or assembled on 'The Tip' behind Garrison La. and moved in very quickly, in sections over a weekend.

Before it went to Camp Hill, I remember it being either stored or assembled on 'The Tip' behind Garrison La. and moved in very quickly, in sections over a weekend.

col h, it had already been assembled in a field outside Bristol by the firm that made it to make sure it went together OK. Then it was dismantled and brought up to Brum. I didn't know about 'The Tip' behind Garrison Lane so many thanks for telling us about that. Many didn't believe it could be built in a weekend - just shows what can be done with forward planning.

Hi there
i can remember the camp hill fly over being built john
and i remember the dolls club along side but do you remember the club named after the dolls club --what was the new club named ,
it was called daddy long legs club ,john did you or any other member used the daddy club ,--john , i hope you don,t mind me asking a question
but did you ever live on the king standing rd and moved to monument rd by spring hill by any chance when you was a kid and next to a sweet shop
because your code name in reverse reminds me of an old friend by the name of john aston best wishes astonian ,;;

Hi Astonion,
Sorry wromg John but i used to go to the dolls club through the turnstile it was two and sixto go in.

Hi Wessex: If you type in King Kong in the forum search at the top of the page you will find some more info on the King Kong statue and other links about him with photos. He was up for discussion again only last week.

000C7AA2-EB9D-139E-98470C01AC1BF814.jpg

Remember him? I can't think about the flyover without remembering this back in about '74.There was a car sales owner who moved him from the Bull Ring.

Updated news here.

https://www.birminghamitsnotshit.co.uk/2008/06/kong-lives.html

Morning wessex
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/search.php?searchid=1544856

I remember standing and watching them build this bridge. I think they did in all on one Sunday

BobH

good one of the erection of the flyove..i like this because it shows the buildings opposite...r...dated 1961

lyn

Back