• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camp Hill Flyover

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
The thread about the Dolls Club produced a great deal of information about, and cracking photos of, the Camp Hill Flyover that appeared next to it next to it. Chances are some folks that recall the 'tempory' flyover will have missed out because they wouldn't have expected it to feature in a thread about the Dolls Club! Hope you will agree it would be good to gather up all the various views of it in one place so here goes with the flyover in it's own right starting with the Grand Opening on 15th October 1961.

I seem to recall that the first, and last, to travel over the flyover where a group of cyclists. Do recall seeing pictures of them but alas cannot find them at the moment, as this thread is just starting thought one of the first pictures, if someone has it, could be that group of cyclists.

I was a bit apprehensive the first time I took a bus over it (Midland Red could, but BCT banned their staff from using it) but after a few times I'd fly at it at 30 MPH as if I'd been doing it for decades. Anyone else met a car coming the wrong way over it? I did once, luckily not far from the far end, poor woman was so flustered she kept stopping and looking out of the window.
Sadly there was a smash under it once, a Midland Red single decker hit one of the support pillars heading towards town. I think someone was badly injured, possibly worse. I've got a press cutting somewhere about it.

Me and a few other lads after a skinful in the Avenue one night went and watched them putting it up and ended up in the Dolls club.

Here is the bus crash Lloyd refers to that happened in 1967. Fortunately no one was killed but the driver, conductor and two out of only five passengers on board were detained in hospital, one of those passengers having serious injuries.The bus was on the 185 service to Birmingham from Solihull. Although the bus suffered considerable damage, the flyover was unaffected by the impact. I can't recall the cause of the accident.

Attachments

• Bordesley Flyover Bus Crash 1967.jpg
    Bordesley Flyover Bus Crash 1967.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 49
Camp Hill flyover, Deritend, photo by Phylis Nicklin. Len.

Attachments

• preview[1].jpg
    preview[1].jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 40
ive got this one...dated 1961

astoness

Attachments

• Bordesley  Camp Hill -Flyover .jpg
    Bordesley Camp Hill -Flyover .jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 48
The Corporation buses did eventually use the flyover although some drivers still preferred not to.

Attachments

• Bordesley Flyover.jpg
    Bordesley Flyover.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 31
Here is a good view showing the curve in the flyover that caused many larger vehicles going over to rub the narrow curbing on it.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Bordesley Flyover.jpg
    Camp Hill Bordesley Flyover.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 45

towards the end of this video clip the bus is driven over the flyover, sure it will bring back a few memories!

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember when Digbeth had its first few fleetlines some of the drivers wouldn,t go over it in them, the driving position being different to the normal deckers we had, I went over about 6 30 one Sunday morning in a D9 and when I got to the top saw a bloke on a moped just starting to come up from the other end, he was exceptionally quick turning round thank god, as I think I would have had a job to stop a D9 going down the other side, and going into town along the side of it if you were brave or perhaps balmy enough to overtake another bus it was a bit tight, can understand how that single decker hit it.

I remember the flyover near Temple Meads, I used to use an all night cafe that was on the approach to it, that would have been in the mid 60's.

Phil

A bit later Phil, it was built in 1968 and like Camp Hill was a 'tempory measure' but lasted until taken down in 1998. When this view was taken it still had two years to go.
Mike

Back