• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camp Hill and Sandy Lane Birmingham

JoanH

knowlegable brummie
Camp Hill and Sandy Lane Birmingham

:shocked:After searching for the past two years I would be shocked if someone could find some old photos of Sandy Lane and the Ship Pub Camp Hill before they were demolished for the dual carriageway.:rolleyes:any messages could be sent to my e.mail address [email protected]

Many thanks in advance JoanH

Hello, JoanH!
Here are three pics of previous Ships that sailed on that corner. The first two are arguably the same place - the first being a photo from about 1890, the next a fanciful drawing of the same, and the last a photo of what was there before the road works you mention. There are surely better pics, but I don't have them on my hard disc.
Peter

Attachments

• Camp Hill Ship 3 .jpg
    Camp Hill Ship 3 .jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Camp Hill Ship 2.jpg
    Camp Hill Ship 2.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
:DMany many thanks for the phots of the ship, pity you couldnt show Sandy Lane, but never-the-less |I am very grateful.
Regards JoanH

To Peter, blessed is she that hopes and receives:)

Another little picture of Camp Hill

Attachments

• Camp Hill Ravenhurst St.jpg
    Camp Hill Ravenhurst St.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 43
Camp Hill

:)Hi Peter wsas able to print off the big phot of the ship but couldnt do the 3-in-one so keeping it on the como. Also thanks to the Forum for the other Camp Hill Photo, was able to print that one off.:D

Sandy Lane as requested.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Sandy Lane 1971 .jpg
    Camp Hill Sandy Lane 1971 .jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 54
Well done Postie what a line up of Cars on your Camp Hill Photo Brill:)

I would have to say that is a great weeks work. Except for Sandy Lane a few hours. I think that I saw the Ship featured here before and info connecting it to the civil war...ours.

Camp Hill Sandy Lane. Expert Brummie

:D Ma\ny thanks for the pics. of tghe Ship and I think you were right about its history. During the Civil War I believe there was a secret passage from the Ship to Highgate House, which just like some thick brummies have done, not realised just how much history there was in that area, and to build more roads pulled it all down. My Grandmother lived and reared 12 children in one of those tiny houses in Sandy Lane, unfortunately I was too young to take photos then, how I wish I had. Young ones today dont realise how the other half lived.:shocked:

Hello everyone!
I've almost finished Camp Hill Past & Present pt 2 but I need your help to locate 3 sites in Sandy Lane:
Photo 1 is 5-7 back of 118-124 Sandy Lane
Photo 2 is a general view of Sandy Lane
Photo 3 is Sandy Lane recreation ground.
Any of you has an idea of where these 3 photos were taken? Btw, they come from the archives at the Library of Bham.
Thanks a lot.
Joseline

Attachments​

• 5:7 back of no. 118-124 Sandy Lane.jpg
    5:7 back of no. 118-124 Sandy Lane.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Sandy Lane 16 Dec 1957.jpg
    Sandy Lane 16 Dec 1957.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Sandy Lane recreation ground 14 Nov 1968.jpg
    Sandy Lane recreation ground 14 Nov 1968.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 7

Joseline
I have deleted your other identical post on the separate thread
The three houses in your first photo are marked in red on the map below. The road above them going to the right is Sampson Road North

bottom sandy lane 1880s.jpg

Back