• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Camden Drive And Camden Grove

Here are five images from the Shoothill site showing Camden Grove - views of Courts 1,2,6 and 7. I've also changed the thread title to cover both Camden Drive and Camden Grove. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 77
Although there's nothing left of the Court in the third image in post #32, it shows the Court lying adjacent to the former St. Pauls School. The school building is still there today. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 39
vIV
I think opposite rather than adjacent would be more correct.
It can be seen from the c 1889 map that then the vourts had names, but presumably these were not used in later days. I seem to remember, somewhere in the book, it stating that the playground wall was opposite the entrance to the court ( not certain). In that case her court would be one of the ones at the south east end of the Grove

Attachments

• Map c 1889 showing camden grove with courts.jpg
    Map c 1889 showing camden grove with courts.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Mike. I think the Court numbering probably ran like this then. These are suggested based on the photos in post #32. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 23
nice photos viv...i was down camden drive a few weeks back taking pics of a couple of old buildings that are just about standing...

Yes Lyn. Looks like there's very little left. I remember on the St Pauls National School thread the land was earmarked for development (and had been for a long time). Did you see any sign of development? Viv.

yes viv all at the back of camden drive demo is going on...i know that just around there is looking pretty pittiful but i still hate to see the old buildings going...so much history and so many people have passed through them..so many stories to tell if only they could speak..

still lots of building work going on in the area but camden drive cobbles survive

lyn

JQ AND HOCKLEY 007.JPG JQ AND HOCKLEY 008.JPG

correction to my last post.. i thought those cobbles looked too clean and level so i took a closer look at them...very clever but i am pretty certain that those are not the original cobbles that were down camden drive as there has not been any since at least 2008 according to st view link below..in fact charlies photo taken in 2007 (post 30) of the cobbles was probably the last time they were seen..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...2N8d3rkw!2e0!5s20080601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Back