• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cambridge Inn, Cambridge Street

Heathville

Back in the early 1960's my parents ran the Cambridge Inn, Cambridge Street, Birmingham 1. This was an old corner pub opposite, what was, the Alexandra Theatre Warehouse. I have searched the internet for a photograph of the pub and the local area during the early 60's (prior to the multi-storey car park that replaced the pub), but without success. I remember that the University Rag-day parade used the pub as a rendezvous and a Brass Works that operated next door. Does anyone have any information relating to the Cambridge Inn.

Hi Heathville,

I remember The Cambridge quite well. And the Rag Week Parade. There used to be jazz and folk at The Cambridge, in the back room if I remember correctly. It may have been organised by John Minnion, who ran The Salutation Arms jazz, but not sure about this. A good old Brummie boozer (just like me...!)

Big Gee

Wendy,

Thanks for the links, they are helping me in my search for a photograph. I will contact some of those that have contributed to your post to see if they have old pics.

Thanks for the photo Dennis. It was obviously on the corner of Cambridge Street and.......where?

Can anyone help? I'm trying to track down a photo of the Cambridge Inn - where Dan Pawson and the Artesian Hall Stompers played on a Thursday night for a period in the mid-1960s. The relevant links and thumbnails referred to above don't work for me.

I know it has been six years since anyone posted on this thread, but I thought it may be worth drawing your attention to this photograph. The site of the Cambridge Inn is where the multi-storey car park is opposite the back of Baskerville House in Cambridge Street on the corner of what is now Brindley Drive (this follows the line of Crescent Wharf).
The monster has nothing to do with this thread!
Egbert - Birmigham Pagent 1938 - in Cambridge Street.jpg

This is another post I must have missed back in 2010, but here is a photo of the Cambridge Inn.

Ladywood Cambridge Inn Cambridge St.JPG

Back