• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Calthorpe Home For Girls, Handsworth

dwjones

Brummie babby
When my great grandfather (Frederick Finney) died in 1906, his wife (Florence Lydia) and 4 children were left destitute. The two eldest girls were placed in Calthorpe Home, 111 Church Hill Rd, Handsworth, where they lived until 1913. The 1911 census confirms that Doris and Florence Lydia May were present at the school.
Apart from the Hidden Lives site (
https://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/homes/HANDS01.html) I have no information on this orphanage. Can anyone help?
Thanks in anticipation.
David Jones

It is listed in Kellys, with Mrs Clandon as secretary, on the corner of Charles Road. In streetview new houses are now on the site

Kellys is a series of directories for different towns, issued each year. They finished , for birmingham, in 1973 . The reason I put it in that position is the order given in the street list, the other side of the junction from robert road. Surprisingly the directory did get things like this wrong on occasion, but usually not in every directory. The Handsworth nursery in 1946 is in the same position, which convinces me it was that side. The house on Streetview would have been Rev. Bunny's home (appropriate for the image of a curate !!)

Kellys_1913_church_hill_road.jpg

Hmmm, I have to agree with you about the address, particularly after seeing the 1946 photo. Plus, in the left background of this photo there is a house whose roof matches a house in street view on the other side of St Peter's Rd. Rev. Bunny can have his house back.
I've checked out Kellys. Thanks for your help.

I remember my parents taking a girl called Diane on holiday with us in the 1950s (probably about 1954/55) from a childrens home in Handsworth, Church Hill Road I believe. Could it have been connected to the Church of England adoption system - which is where they adopted me?

I remember my parents taking a girl called Diane on holiday with us in the 1950s (probably about 1954/55) from a childrens home in Handsworth, Church Hill Road I believe. Could it have been connected to the Church of England adoption system - which is where they adopted me?
Yes it was Reggie. I was adopted from this home in 1963 through the Church of England Childrens' society so they definitely used it.

Back