• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Callow James

AMW

master brummie
Hi
I have found James Callow living at 2 court 16 Great Hampton Street.
But next to his name is +7 Kenyon Terrace, Kenyon Street and +12 Court 16 Great Hampton Street. Although he has lived at the first address he doesn't appear at the other two address. Would anyone know why he could be paying rates for all of these properties please. :)

What is his occupation? He probably owns them, either by purchase or inheritance, or uses them as premises from which to run a Busines(s).

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
I guess I didn't really think about him owning them. He was born in 1856 served 12 years in the Berkshire Grenadier Guards. He his married to Catherine Callow. Has 11 children. Was a painter and paperhanger and then I can't find him on 1911 census. Seem to have his a brick wall.

I don't think he owned them and i thought one of the other columns names the owner.
Need to investigate more.

• Appreciate
Your right Janice. Just realised the rates were payable to J. Matthew and son for William Price. He also has a son by the name of James Charles Callow who lived in Heaton Street.

There is no entry that I can find at the moment for 12 court 16 at I think Great Hampton Street. However, the entry for Kenyon Terrace is interesting:
1614355396760.png
You will know the name - I assume the crossing out means she was only there for part of the year. I wonder if the entry by James name meant he paid the rates on all 3 properties.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
I think I have Catherine on 1911 but no sign of James
Name:Cathern Callon
Age in 1911:54
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1857
Relation to Head:Head
Birth Place:Barston, Redshire Surry
Civil Parish:Birmingham
Search Photos:Search for 'Birmingham' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Street Address:5 B 11 Kenyon St
Marital status:Married
Registration District Number:384
Sub-registration District:St George
ED, institution, or vessel:08
Piece:18068
Household Members:
Name​
Age​
54​
28​
20​
18​
16​
14​

Janice... thank you so much for finding that. I don't know how you did it in such a short time. It took me ages to find the record for Catherine. On it Catherine mentions she is separated. Can't find James anywhere. So seems really odd for the 3 lots of addresses in the rates book. Unless he has set up homes at the other address but can't seem to find them on the 1911 census. Thanks so much for your help.

Best wishes
Alison

Back