• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Callow James Grenadier Guards New Windsor

AMW

master brummie
Hi
I have found James Callow living at 13 Love Lane, New Windsor on the 1881 census serving as a private in the Grenadier Guards. However on his wedding certificate for June 1881, he and his wife are listed as living in the Infantry Hospital???? Not sure why this would be the case :confused:

I just did a search and I think it looks as if Love Lane is behind the Barracks so perhaps the address is the same.
Houses in hospital grounds??

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Hi Janice

You are a star! what search did you do please so I can try doing it myself please.

Best wishes
Alison

It seems to be next door to the basrracks, but separate/ See map below in red (ignore red marker)

map windsor c1876-81 showing love lane.jpg

• Appreciate
Hi Janice

You are a star! what search did you do please so I can try doing it myself please.

Best wishes
Alison
I went on a hunch and googled "love lane barracks". Several results came up.
Do you know his job in the army?
As he was a regular soldier you might be able to find his army records - FMP have some. For my g grandfather (similar date) I contacted his regiment archivist (found online) and they put me in touch with someone who I paid to search the national archives but they are now on FMP.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Thank you both so much. You seem to have magic fingers. I try loads of searches and come up with nothing!!!

I think he was a private in the 1st battalion. I have found information regarding his discharge from the army. I still cannot find him in the 1911 census though....

Back