• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Callow - Cuckoo in the nest.......

AMW

master brummie
1615380839245.pngHi

I have a Callow family living at 4 First Row, Talbot Street on the 1861 Census.

The thing is if I look for the mothers maiden name for these children it seems to be a variation on the spelling of Peers, Peerss, Pearce. However for Joseph Callow born in 1857, his mother's maiden name seems to be Copper. Not sure if this is common or not having another child in the family. I also can't find a marriage between a William Callow and a Eliza Peers, Peerss, Pearce. I guess it wasn't uncommon for couples not to be married. All very puzzling!!

Joseph Callow mmn Copper appears to be the son of William & Martha. (that should be James & Mary)

It seems your Joseph was registered as William Joseph (Dec 1856) but known as Joseph probably because he already had a brother William.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
There is a marriage between William Callow and Martha Peters in 1853. But my Joseph Callow's parents were William (b.1830) and Eliza ?(Peers)? (b.1832) though I haven't been able to find there marriage.

I posted a possible marriage of a William Callow and Eliza Gwyther but have now ruled them out so have deleted the post.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
The William you found may not be your william,there is a marriage of a James Callow and Mary Copper and they had a son William in 1857, incorrectly posted as Callon on census.1861

• Appreciate
Thanks for that. But he isn't the one either as my William was born in 1830 and married to Eliza.

Also I'm glad that a possible marriage between William Callow and Eliza Gwyther has been checked and ruled out by Janice. I'd ruled it out too but it was really great to have a second opinion. Thank you ever so much.

It would seem (as in #2) that the "copper" birth is not your Joseph. Have you looked for a baptism?

There's a baptism for a Thomas Callow, 3 May 1861 All Saints, Bham that seems to be Joseph's brother.

• Appreciate
Thomas baptism.
1615567086612.png
I can't find baptisms for any of the other children.

Did you notice on 1861 census that 2 people named William Callow are listed next to each other - one with wife Martha and one with wife Eliza?

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Hi Janice

I think it is because I have William listed as a Gardener in the 1861 Census. Another of his sons is James Callow who married Catherine Hitchcock and on his Wedding Certificate, William is listed as a Gardener. The other complicating thing is that William and Eliza have children born in Gib Heath, Handsworth and Birmingham, so the area spans Staffordshire and Warwickshire. I must say I just seem to go around and around in circles with Callow family members! :scream:

Have just found this for another son Harry which would match but William listed as a Labourer. Would anyone know what 'Private' means in this instance.
1615568781774.png

I think it means that they were baptised in their home. Maybe because they were sickly and unable to go to church.

I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not the case.

Going back to the original post, from which direction are you coming from so to speak.

Is it from a Joseph Callow and you're trying to find the family or from the family and you're trying to find the children?

• Appreciate
James Callow is my GGG Grandad. His Parents are William and Eliza. I have most of the children but when I check their MMN the majority of the children have the MMN of Peers, Pearce. However Joseph has his MMN as Copper.

Perhaps Joseph Callow's MMN was never registered. Or his birth wasn't registered.

The crux of the matter is how do you know if children on the census actually belong to the parent?

Ok, I was worried that we were on the total wrong path.

Between 1855 and 1859 there were 5 male Callows registered in Bham.

Joseph Dec 1857, son of James Callow & Mary Copper (I wrongly said William & Martha earlier).

William Dec 1855, again son of James & Mary.

William Sep 1855, son of William Callow & Martha Peters, he appears to die young because...

William Joseph Dec 1856, again son of William & Martha, he is listed sometimes as William, sometimes Joseph.

Which leaves Joseph Sep 1856, who appears to be the son of Joseph Callow & Emma Jones. Apart from his birth registration & baptism not sure what happened to him or his parents. There are no other Callow/Jones children registered locally.

The options seem to be that...

Your Joseph was the son of William & Eliza and he wasn't registered, not uncommon but a little surprising as they registered all the other children.

He was not their son and he was 'adopted', again not uncommon.

No way of knowing which, unless Joseph has descendants and dna can do it.

I was looking for a connection between Joseph, the father of Joseph above and your William (brothers maybe) but nothing certain.

Back