• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

calling all ex rollers rinkers!!!!!

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi everyone..just to let you know a venue has now been booked for anyone one who fancies putting on the boots again and giving it a go....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: this is for both you guys and gals....

later on i will be posting all the details..i shall be opening a new thread on the banter and debate section as this is where members meet ups are now situated...if you do not have access to the banter and debate just send an instant message to POSTIE asking to be allowed access...

astoness.:):):)

lol mary...and i am padding meself out...no seriously i think we will have a great time....i am also trying to sort out some music to bring....
just going to post all the details on the correct thread....and thanks everso for sorting out the venue.....

ttfn...

lyn

Last edited:
thats such a shame frederick....i have recently been reunited with rollar rink friends and cant wait to meet them again...carol is travelling from newcastle and on the way down picking up mary who lives in leeds...it does however mean an overnight stay for them.....thank you for that lovely pic..are you on it....

astoness:)

Wonder if the roller rink is still at Drayton Manor Park. I used to skate there. OH and of course on the pavement. Jean.

lol jean...one of our crowd used to hold on to the bar of the number 8 bus with his skates still on and get towed from spring hill to hockley flyover....:rolleyes::rolleyes: bet he wouldnt do it now...lol

i didnt know there was a rink at drayton manor....

lyn

ps you know where we are if you fancy a go again.....

oops sorry all..i forgot to say all the details of the meet up are now posted in the banter and debate section...

lyn:)

Astoness,
yes i am middle row fifth from the left that was taken at Walford rd one week befor we went ot the continent to race in 1960.

were did you skate

It was just a large square concreted area but I was only a kid. I bet your friend hasn't skated down the main hill in Aston Park couldn't stop and ended up over the road on the church yard wall?. Wonder I never ended up in the church yard the way I skated. My uncle bought me a posh pair with ball bearings and a tiny oil can to keep them lubricated. I still had that can till Pete let someone borrow it and when I asked for it back they said they never had it. It was the sentimental value of it that got to me. Jean.

frederick i skated at spring hill roller rink..those pics you are putting on dont half make me impatient to get the skates back on again....although having a bit of cartlidge problem on one knee i will not be going round at 90 mph...lol....i shall be well strapped up....

jean lol...i bet you were a right little tiger on yer skates....shame about that tin of oil...:headhit::headhit::headhit:for pete...

lyn:)

Lyn, I'd love to join you but it's a bit too far for me too.:)

In the 50's I used to skate at the Embassy Roller Rink with my cousin Frederick (his continental trip was to here in Belgium). The last time I skated was in the 80's with my kids here in Belgium and one time in the 70's in a beautiful Ball-Room at Torquay.

Graham.

hi graham...hope you are well...it is a shame that you cant make it either..never mind i will try and post a couple of pics so that you can all have a good laugh...that is of course if i can keep the camera still....lol....

lyn:):):)

right thats it froth..:headhit::headhit::headhit:..there..i hope you have a headache...lol....ps what size foot are you??? apart from yer usual size 11...tee hee

lyn:):):)

Old codgers indeed!!!!!!

There was a chap of 72 on the news a few days ago causing a nuisance skating round a town centre-Blackpool I think. The police keep moving him on

Last edited:
mary..take no notice of frothy...we know him of old:rolleyes::rolleyes:and we will be holding him to taking some video evidence.....by the way froth mary is one of the two friends i have recently made contact with...just in case you were wondering...i know how you like to be kept up to date...lol

lyn

got to dash now....

ttfn

Oh how this thread made me smile. My first wife was a demon skater at the Rink down Walford Road (The Waldorf?). I can still visualise her when I accompanied her - she had proper boots and the shortest of skirts, this in pre mini skirt days; and went off so confidently whilst I crawled around the outside hanging on for dear life. Then many years and 3 children, later she begged one of the girls to lend her a set of boots and with her words "once learnt never forgotten" ringing in our ears she ventured out on the the area we lovingly called out patio. Well she got to the centre and froze - totally - could not move and inch. The girls towed her back to the rear door so that she could take off the boots - we never let her forget that moment but how I wish I had a video of it.

when we were in Begium we had to race on a road up a hill around a pile of tyres back down the hill around a pile of tyres and back up the hill one of the lads fell over what a mess on his knees and arms and that was the only race we lost over on the continent.

my cousin Graham left the skating and went on his cycling journey to become world champion well done Graham.

some more photos of the Embassy roller rink.

Fred,

I started skating at the age of 11 on the Isle of Man school trip in 1955, but I didn't know then that skating and cycling were a perfect combination otherwise I wouldn't have stopped and maybe I'd have won a few skating championships as well! At the Isle of Man I wrote off 7 pairs of skates in 7 days and I certainly brought cycle clothing into the ice skating world at the Silver Blades in Brum.

Lyn I look forward to seeing those pics, will there be an ambulance on stand-by?

Graham.

Any one ever remember the roller sq in brookvale park.(about the mid to late 1970s usd to be on the grassbank by the old swimming pool foundations)
Only ever skated on it once,one lunch time, I took one of my work mates who skated for the Mohawks Ice speed team down to that park, I had a pair of the original SKEELERS the for runner of the in line skates you see to day (made by METER TOY?)
I had been so keen to show him how alike these were to ice skates.We both ended up with a sore butt for our efforts that day.
Never liked roller skateing all that much untill the in line skates.

lol bernie..i just hope that we dont freeze when we meet up.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:
mind you frothy said hes coming so if that happens he can be our knight in shining armour and tow us to the sides....cant you froth????:D:D:D

frederick thanks for the pics..and i did not realise that you and graham were cousins.....

lyn:):)

frederick thanks for the pics..and i did not realise that you and graham were cousins

Yes Lyn and we were very close, much closer than brothers.:) Fred might not remember this but we were together on my first cycle ride. We cycled to Earlswood Lake and back, it nearly killed me!:skull:

another one of our cycle rides were to Kenilworth castle and take a pick- nick they were the good old days :)

Fred, the best days ever, brings tears to my eyes :crying:, and Kenilworth Castle was then still in its original state with the boulders that were used to smash the walls still lying in the dried out moat! Sorry for going off topic.

with speed skating we had to put soft green soap on our feet to help stop the blisters on the ball of the foot and the under heel :cry:

These are the Skeller roller skates BIRMINGHAM BARONS Ice Hockey Club used for a Videoed demo by (Meter toy?) Filmed on a school play ground in Sutton Coldfield back in the 1960s I understood this was to premote them in the USA.(and we all know how these took off over in the States)
These were the for runners of all in line roller skates.
THE BARON (ASTON)

the skates we all used were Deckster which were made of Aluminium with wooden wheels there was the one time i used plastic wheels when we were on the Continent and we were skating on a road and a concrete rink.

Hi, I just joined the happy throng and I am very keen to get it right.
Just wanted to join in on the Spring Hill Roller Rink discussion.
I was a regular goer in the mid to late sixties and would love to find as much info as possible, including pictures.

Back