• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

calling all ex rollers rinkers!!!!!

Graham

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Fred,

I started skating at the age of 11 on the Isle of Man school trip in 1955, but I didn't know then that skating and cycling were a perfect combination otherwise I wouldn't have stopped and maybe I'd have won a few skating championships as well! At the Isle of Man I wrote off 7 pairs of skates in 7 days and I certainly brought cycle clothing into the ice skating world at the Silver Blades in Brum.

Lyn I look forward to seeing those pics, will there be an ambulance on stand-by?

Graham.

The Baron

master brummie
Any one ever remember the roller sq in brookvale park.(about the mid to late 1970s usd to be on the grassbank by the old swimming pool foundations)
Only ever skated on it once,one lunch time, I took one of my work mates who skated for the Mohawks Ice speed team down to that park, I had a pair of the original SKEELERS the for runner of the in line skates you see to day (made by METER TOY?)
I had been so keen to show him how alike these were to ice skates.We both ended up with a sore butt for our efforts that day.
Never liked roller skateing all that much untill the in line skates.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
lol bernie..i just hope that we dont freeze when we meet up.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:
mind you frothy said hes coming so if that happens he can be our knight in shining armour and tow us to the sides....cant you froth????:D:D:D

frederick thanks for the pics..and i did not realise that you and graham were cousins.....

lyn:):)

Graham

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
frederick thanks for the pics..and i did not realise that you and graham were cousins

Yes Lyn and we were very close, much closer than brothers.:) Fred might not remember this but we were together on my first cycle ride. We cycled to Earlswood Lake and back, it nearly killed me!:skull:

frederick

master brummie
another one of our cycle rides were to Kenilworth castle and take a pick- nick they were the good old days :)

Graham

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Fred, the best days ever, brings tears to my eyes :crying:, and Kenilworth Castle was then still in its original state with the boulders that were used to smash the walls still lying in the dried out moat! Sorry for going off topic.

frederick

master brummie
with speed skating we had to put soft green soap on our feet to help stop the blisters on the ball of the foot and the under heel :cry:

The Baron

master brummie
These are the Skeller roller skates BIRMINGHAM BARONS Ice Hockey Club used for a Videoed demo by (Meter toy?) Filmed on a school play ground in Sutton Coldfield back in the 1960s I understood this was to premote them in the USA.(and we all know how these took off over in the States)
These were the for runners of all in line roller skates.
THE BARON (ASTON)

frederick

master brummie
the skates we all used were Deckster which were made of Aluminium with wooden wheels there was the one time i used plastic wheels when we were on the Continent and we were skating on a road and a concrete rink.

T

TheRidge

Hi, I just joined the happy throng and I am very keen to get it right.
Just wanted to join in on the Spring Hill Roller Rink discussion.
I was a regular goer in the mid to late sixties and would love to find as much info as possible, including pictures.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi the ridge...type in spring hill rollar rink in the search box at the top right then scroll down to it...then go to page 14 of that thread where i have posted a pic of the outside of the rink.....you must have been going there at the same time as i was....went in the late 60s till the day it closed down...:(:(:( welcome to the forum.... Hope you enjoy it...

Astoness:)

T

TheRidge

Thank you Astoness, those certainly were the days, Haloween, St Valentines.
I've recently joined a roller skating club, it's amazing, like riding a bike, but your backside
hurts more when you fall on it

Last edited by a moderator:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi the ridge....could you send me details of the club you have joined...ive been trying to find one not to far away from me.....me knees are not what they used to be :d:d but i would love a go again....

cheers...

lyn:):)