• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CAIN family of Fisher Street

smiler

master brummie
I am looking for anyone who may know anything about the family of Thomas Patrick CAIN and wife Ann, who in the 1891 census lived at 29, Fisher Street, Gosta Green, Birmingham.

They were a large family and members lived in Aston Road, Dartmouth Street and Richard Street before the war.

Their children were
Joseph b 1870,
Patrick b 1872,
James b 1873,
Daniel b 1878,
Sarah Ann b 1879(my G/mother)
Annie b 1881,
William b 1883
Frank b 1889.

Hoping that someone may be able to help me find them again.

Smiler

In 1881 they were at no 7 court 11 Dartmouth st (Warwickshire > Aston > Duddeston > District 20 > Page 30)

mike

They are still at fisher st in 1901 (Warwickshire > Birmingham > St George > District 50 > Page 14 ) . sarah, Annie, william & Frank are present with their parents
mike

Thank you all for your replies, Frank Cain was the youngest member of the family, he spent his life as a gun maker in the Gun Quarter.

I remember meeting him in the early 50's as a very young boy, he appeared very old although only in his 60's!! he was living at 93, Gt Colmore Street then, he died about 1955.

As far as I am aware he never married and was very close to my grandmother who would cook and look after him, she was also living in Gt Colmore Street nearby him.

I never met my grandmother, Sarah Ann as she died in 1946, before I was born.

My late father told me that the Birmingham boxer of the 20's 30's, known as Billy Cain was his Uncle, again no further details known, but hope to find out!!

All contact with this side of my family was lost from that time, just post war.

Smiler

Hi Chinton25, my Cain family connection is the one living at 29, Fisher Street, Gosta Green, Bham, are you connected to this Cain family?

Smiler

Hi Chinton25, my Cain family connection is the one living at 29, Fisher Street, Gosta Green, Bham, are you connected to this Cain family?

Smiler

Yes, Joseph's daughter Ellen (Nellie) was my g-grandmother. She died as a young mother 31, with mastitis. Joseph's brother William was a midland's boxer.. Billy Cain. I don't know much about the other siblings though, sorry!

Hi Chinton25,

Hello coz'. Yes that is my Cain family, I'm so pleased to hear from another Cain family member.

I will message you with further family information.

Smiler

Hi..
I remember a John Cain who was in my class at William Cowper school.. this was about 1965 we were about 8 years old.... I remember him because we was always ' scrappin ' in the playground !

Hi!

Researching my family and stumbled across this forum - I'm descended from the Cain fam through Daniel Cain, married to Polly Cain who had a daughter, Annie Cain - my great grandmother, mother to my gfather Daniel Embrey.

Back