• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cafe under Lewis's

When I was little we used to go to a cafe in Lewis's but thought we came in from the subway at the Gaumont cinema end. I used to have a Horlicks drink

Last edited:
If it had been recent I would have said "Greggs" or similar. I am sure it sold mainly takeaway snacks with just a few seats inside. I vaguely recall have soup and a bread roll or a filled roll nothing more elaborate. Don't even think they did chips.

Someone who worked at Lewis's during school and later college holidays mainly in the Concourse Snack Bar opposite Lewis's door to the Bull St/Corporation St subway see quote from an old post below.
Yes I have fond memories of Lewis's from summer 1967 to 1970 I used to work there during school and later college holidays and on Saturdays in term time, mainly in The Concourse Snack Bar, in the Bull St/Corporation St subway. Having difficulties getting a grant to continue my studies in 1970 I asked I could stay working for the year. Well I stayed until August 1987, used to love working on the food hall especially at Xmas time, all that seasonal fare, ham on the bone, cooked turkeys, pork pies, Christmas cakes, mince pies and the confectionary, Chocolate Liquers, Picture Chocolate boxes from all the big makers, massive stacks of After Eight, Quality St, Roses. The deli with all the german and continental foods, pfeffernusse, lebkuchen, stollen, gingerbread father Christmas, all organised by wonderful supervisor on there Mildred Hall, remember one year having an enormous display unit in the shape of a Gingerbread house, that was from Bahlsen biscuits and was rammed with their fare, there wasn't a german market in those days but Lewis's and Rackhams to a lesser extent did a fair imitation. One year we got the soldier and crinoline lady costumes from Quality Street and the display team dressed two mannequins in them and made a wonderful display with the lady sat in an antique chair with a table with wine and mince pies on it, all in the largest display of tins, jars and boxes of QS you could imagine. One year I did my turn as the extra Assistant Sales Manager they added to the toy floor from October to January, that was a magical time indeed but enough I'm getting maudlin now

The only place I remember under Lewis's was the basement and maybe there was a cafe in there. I don't remember one but it was a very long time ago when I shopped at Lewis's. I do remember the covered subway being built under the Bull St/Corporation St crossing and I think Lewis's built a doorway to allow direct access from their basement to the subway.

Maybe questions about the cafe should be asked in the Lewis's thread where someone who worked there might know about what was in the basement. Most members get email alerts when someone posts in a thread they watch.
:)

Thinking back and looking at the pics below, the 'subway' at the Bull St/Corporation St was created by taking the roads above pavement level. The doorway of Lewis's stayed at pavement level and appeared to look out into a 'subway' with the roads overhead.
Looking up Bull Street date 1975
Bull_St_1975.jpg

Enlargement.
1crop_Bull_St_1975.jpg

Just found this post. The name of the snackbar was The Concourse Snackbar. It was there from at least 1966 to the 80s . Also there was a Record shop adjacent also owned by Lewis's. I am certain about this as I was Lewis's Catering Manager for many years.
Welcome to the forum
Thank you for confirming the existence of the snack bar and the adjacent record shop.
I was beginning to think I had imagined them. :D

Back