• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Caesar Jenkyns Small Heath Captain

HATELEY

master brummie
Does anyone know whether there are living relatives of the great Welsh international with the unusual christian name or where his last resting place is? He passed on in 1941 in Birmingham

In 1939 he was living at 28 Alston St with Victor & Violet Pipe according to the electoral roll. He had been there since 1925, originally with Elizabeth Jenkyns. Violet Jenkyns was also listed from about or just before 1930, so probably Violet Pipe was his daughter

Last edited:
He had at least 5 children, the four listed in this census...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS7G-633

and another son, also named Caesar Augustus, b1903.

The youngest daughter married a Victor Pipe but they don't seem to have any children.

Elizabeth Dorothy married a William Cox and seem to have had 2 sons, William and Leslie, and a daughter, Dorothy. So there could be living descendants from them.

Scratch Ruth, she looks to be his step daughter, can't see any marriage for them but he possibly married Elizabeth Fisher, whom he was living with in 1891...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WL49-ZZM

Last edited:
His eldest son Henry Llewellyn seems to have married an Ethel Florence Balchin (reg Dartford 1918).

They had at least one son (I suspect there are more children though) Henry L, b1918 - d1944. He seems to have married a Charlotte E Clamp (re Nuneaton 1939).

They had a son, Henry J (b1939) who is living with his grandparents on 1939 register and a daughter Margaret J (b1942).

Henry died in 1949 unfortunately but there is a possible marriage for Margaret (1961 to a James Miller), so there could be descendants there (there are a couple of possible children).

Unfortunately they would be difficult to trace.

And finally his son Caesar seems to have married an Ethel Mansell in 1925 (reg Newcastle under Lyme).

They possibly had one son, Douglas (b1929 Bham), so possible descendants there.

And finally his son Caesar seems to have married an Ethel Mansell in 1925 (reg Newcastle under Lyme).

They possibly had one son, Douglas (b1929 Bham), so possible descendants there.
Thank you Mike that information will be most useful. I don't live in Birmingham now but I should think that Harborne would be the most likely cemetery as helved in Ladywood.Next time I am in the city I will have a look in the new library at the records for Harborne and see what I can find

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but the Manager of The Shaftsmoor Pub in Shaftsmoor Lane, Hall Green was named Caesar Jenkyns/Jenkins and he and his wife had a son called Douggie/Douglas who would have been around that age and they ran the pub during the war years. He and my Dad drank regularly together in the Gents Only.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but the Manager of The Shaftsmoor Pub in Shaftsmoor Lane, Hall Green was named Caesar Jenkyns/Jenkins and he and his wife had a son called Douggie/Douglas who would have been around that age and they ran the pub during the war years. He and my Dad drank regularly together in the Gents Only.

Thanks for that info Pat. I will follow it up next week when I have a bit of time.

The 1939 Kellys (which refers to 1938-early 1939) gives landlord as Sydney Eric McCracken. The 1940, 1943, 1944, 1946 editions all give Caesar Aug. Jenkins. In wartime there was probably a lack of staff to maintain the volumes at kellys, so presumably they did not completely redo each year. I cannot believe (even allowing for the spelling of Jenkins) that there were two Caesar Augustus Jenkins in Brum.

Caesar Jenkyns was the 5th son of Thomas Jenkyns, who served 30 years in the Birmingham Police Force, in which he obtained the rank of sergeant. The sons were Thomas, Daniel, John , Plato and Caesar. Plato followed in his fathers footsteps and by 1915 was an Inspector, well-known at Victoria Law Courts.

The 1939 Kellys (which refers to 1938-early 1939) gives landlord as Sydney Eric McCracken. The 1940, 1943, 1944, 1946 editions all give Caesar Aug. Jenkins. In wartime there was probably a lack of staff to maintain the volumes at kellys, so presumably they did not completely redo each year. I cannot believe (even allowing for the spelling of Jenkins) that there were two Caesar Augustus Jenkins in Brum.

Oh yes, there were two of them Mike. See : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/berners-street/union-inn.htm#Caesar-Augustus-Jenkyns

Back