• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

I`m sure my late mother in law,bless her,worked at Cadburys in the 50`s her name was Hilda Hale from Northfield

i have just found this and my grandmother was called hilda hale and she lived in halescroft square in northfield. Her husband was called william and she had 2 daughters called brenda and margaret.

i have just found this and my grandmother was called hilda hale and she lived in halescroft square in northfield. Her husband was called william and she had 2 daughters called brenda and margaret.

Nice to hear from you. I seem to remember a lady that sat at the head of the conveyor belt, straightening a line of Milk Tray chocolates, ready for boxing. She used something like a long ruler to do so. I think her name could have been Hilda. I sat at the conveyor belt in room U5 (1953 - 1955) opposite Jean Taylor, also from Northfield, and we became very good friends. I also remember a girl named Margaret can't remember her surname.

Re: Cadbury's Bournville

This Rest House in Bournville was paid for by Cadbury employees in 1913 to celebrate the silver wedding anniversary of G & W Cadbury. The design is based on Yarm Market in Dunster. What happy employees they must have been to contribute to such a lovely gift.

https://images.birminghamhistory.co...userpics/10014/Bournville_Rest_House_1983.JPG

https://images.birminghamhistory.co.../userpics/10014/Bournville_RestHouse_1983.JPG

Photo was taken in 1983. Viv.

Replacement photos as originals seem to have disappeared after hacking!!

Re: Cadbury's Bournville

They were relatively happy for a long time after Viv, certainly until the end of the period when Adrian Cadbury was in charge. However his brother Dominic, who took over the company was of another type, who would be at home in the city today (not a compliment). His illness allowed the corporate businessmen to completely take over. and their real opinions are summarised quite well in the comments of the last of the pack, Roger Carr, ( a rather obnoxious little pratt) at https://www.professionalpensions.co...31114/cadbury-chairman-defends-takeover-price , where his only considerations are shareholder value ("coincidentally" which coincides with with the large sum obtained for himself by his maneuverings)

Diabolical Mike. Companies that look after their workers are rare, so no surprise really. But a great pity Cadbury's went that way given how they started out. Viv.

After several days of frustration trying to upload a Word .docx file - I converted it to a .doc file and then to a pdf file - but still no joy, I've resorted to scanning each of the 8 pages and will upload as photos!!!
Cadbury_1_28788_x_125029.jpg
Cadbury_2_28795_x_125029.jpg

Cadbury_3_28779_x_125029.jpg

Cadbury_4_28888_x_125029.jpg
Cadbury_5_28885_x_125029.jpg

An interesting booklet David. It should be emphasised (although it is stated), that the "milk chocolate" of Sloane and the early Cadbury product, is a drinking chocolate

These are excellent David. The info and the images are a great find, especially the images of the rear of Cadbury's Bull Street shop. And how good to hear the Cadbury's had a hand in putting a stop to child labour. Viv.

Should have posted this here instead of "bull street" thread.
This 1851 notice shows Cadbury's cocoa to be marketed as a medicinal/ homeopathic product. Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328968512.758608.jpg

Cadbury no 1 is now at the Gloucester. & Warwickshire Railway. Here it is in 2010. It was in the process of being repainted so no name on the side

E-mailcheltenham006.jpg

That's good news Mike. The engine looks smaller than I expected. The 8th picture on the Cadbury Railways group ( in colour) shows people and, I think children, on the open sections of the carriages. Seems odd, maybe it was a promotional event. Viv.

Viv
The picture is dated at the bottom 1976. That would be about when the branch to the factory closed (unfortunately I was at Leeds at the time and never witnessed it). It was probably the last train out and for the benefit of enthusiasts.

That's a pity Mike. I lived in Bournville - after the line closed then - and never even knew there'd been a special Cadbury Railway. Mind you I got sick of the smell of chocolate, especially at the station waiting for the train up to work every morning. The station was painted cream and brown, like being enveloped in a giant coffee cream. Viv.

That's a pity Mike. I lived in Bournville - after the line closed then - and never even knew there'd been a special Cadbury Railway. Mind you I got sick of the smell of chocolate, especially at the station waiting for the train up to work every morning. The station was painted cream and brown, like being enveloped in a giant coffee cream. Viv.

Cadbury railway-and Bournville-on cine film and old photograph. Hurry though, the BBCi-player is about to run out of time:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...lway_Journeys_Series_1_Walsall_to_Bournville/

Thanks Richie for posting the link, I found it very interesting, I have not seen any of the previous programs in the series.
Regards Reg

Back