• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
After several days of frustration trying to upload a Word .docx file - I converted it to a .doc file and then to a pdf file - but still no joy, I've resorted to scanning each of the 8 pages and will upload as photos!!!
Cadbury_1_28788_x_125029.jpg
Cadbury_2_28795_x_125029.jpg

Cadbury_3_28779_x_125029.jpg

Cadbury_4_28888_x_125029.jpg
Cadbury_5_28885_x_125029.jpg

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
An interesting booklet David. It should be emphasised (although it is stated), that the "milk chocolate" of Sloane and the early Cadbury product, is a drinking chocolate

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are excellent David. The info and the images are a great find, especially the images of the rear of Cadbury's Bull Street shop. And how good to hear the Cadbury's had a hand in putting a stop to child labour. Viv.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should have posted this here instead of "bull street" thread.
This 1851 notice shows Cadbury's cocoa to be marketed as a medicinal/ homeopathic product. Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328968512.758608.jpg

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cadbury no 1 is now at the Gloucester. & Warwickshire Railway. Here it is in 2010. It was in the process of being repainted so no name on the side

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's good news Mike. The engine looks smaller than I expected. The 8th picture on the Cadbury Railways group ( in colour) shows people and, I think children, on the open sections of the carriages. Seems odd, maybe it was a promotional event. Viv.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Viv
The picture is dated at the bottom 1976. That would be about when the branch to the factory closed (unfortunately I was at Leeds at the time and never witnessed it). It was probably the last train out and for the benefit of enthusiasts.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a pity Mike. I lived in Bournville - after the line closed then - and never even knew there'd been a special Cadbury Railway. Mind you I got sick of the smell of chocolate, especially at the station waiting for the train up to work every morning. The station was painted cream and brown, like being enveloped in a giant coffee cream. Viv.

Richie

Mr.Respectable
That's a pity Mike. I lived in Bournville - after the line closed then - and never even knew there'd been a special Cadbury Railway. Mind you I got sick of the smell of chocolate, especially at the station waiting for the train up to work every morning. The station was painted cream and brown, like being enveloped in a giant coffee cream. Viv.
Cadbury railway-and Bournville-on cine film and old photograph. Hurry though, the BBCi-player is about to run out of time:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qgz23/Great_British_Railway_Journeys_Series_1_Walsall_to_Bournville/

roverman

master brummie
Thanks Richie for posting the link, I found it very interesting, I have not seen any of the previous programs in the series.
Regards Reg

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just watched the Great Railways episode - brilliant, thanks for the link Richie. For those who don't get an opportunity to watch it, here are a few screenshots. When I lived in Bournville, the station wasn't painted Cadbury Purple but was painted in cream and brown. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902306.341204.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902349.154431.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902373.022507.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902397.339532.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902412.337911.jpg

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they changed the colour of the station when they opened Cadbury World.

jennyann

master brummie
Staff member
Interesting story about Miss Felicity Loudon, the great grandaughter of the founder of Cadbury's. Miss Loudon is planning on starting her own chocolate company using the capital obtained from the sale of her home in the Cotswold's which sold for 30 million pounds according to this article. I am off for a break for a few days. Hope the weather will be nice and sunny. https://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2012/05/06/cadbury-heiress-felicity-loudon-gets-sweet-revenge-on-kraft-66331-30908388/

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've taken the liberty of adding this drawing to complement David's 5th photo in post # 1, as I think it's an interesting inside view of Cadbury's Bridge Street Works around 1847. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341393508.563292.jpg

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I like this 1859 advert from the Graphic because of the puns : "The two great cups" ( the Americas and the English) and how Cadbury's cocoa "promotes bouyant health". Clever piece of 19th century advertising. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341394240.638401.jpg

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a nice pc. It has cut-out Cadbury trains with their own little stands. Little boys must have been overjoyed to have received this in the post. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375086082.961220.jpg