• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadburys No.1

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
I have been sent a card from a Bristol friend showing this fine painting of Cadburys No.1, a loco that was built in Bristol. I'm told it is undergoing restoration at the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway at Toddington, the other side of Evesham. Any rail buffs know how it is coming along?

I have been sent a card from a Bristol friend showing this fine painting of Cadburys No.1, a loco that was built in Bristol. I'm told it is undergoing restoration at the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway at Toddington, the other side of Evesham. Any rail buffs know how it is coming along?

Hi Mike,

It's not shown on the locomotive roster of the GWSR as either
available for use, or in restoration on or off site. I wonder if it
has been recently moved there, or the site has not been updated,
or is there a possibility it may be on a different railway?

Kind regards

Dave

Cadbury No.1 was at Tyseley, up to September 2008 at least.
It is a 0-4-0 tank engine built in 1925 by the Avonside Locomotive Works of Filwood Road, Fishponds, Bristol (works number 1977). The design was used as a basis for a series of six engines built by Avonside for the Great Western Railway to use at Swansea docks (the 1101 class). None of these survive, thus the interest in Cadbury No1 by GWR fans!

Its nice to see a picture of the loco Lloyd the pic that Mike put on I have seen it before ..does anyone know if it was one cadburys used on a sweet tin ?:)

Thanks for info. That's interesting Lloyd, the GWR connection. Could it be at some time Cadbury No.1 will turn up as a GWR '1101' class lookalike for a period ? All sorts of things are going on at the moment to recapture lost steam loco designs. Ranging from lookalikes (East European imports as Southern Railway USA tank locos), rebuilds (LMS Coronation, GWR Saint and County), through to new build (Tornado and an unrebuilt Patriot on the way) amongst others. Who knows, anythiong is possible in the world of steam these days.
Mike

Thanks for info. That's interesting Lloyd, the GWR connection. Could it be at some time Cadbury No.1 will turn up as a GWR '1101' class lookalike for a period ? All sorts of things are going on at the moment to recapture lost steam loco designs. Ranging from lookalikes (East European imports as Southern Railway USA tank locos), rebuilds (LMS Coronation, GWR Saint and County), through to new build (Tornado and an unrebuilt Patriot on the way) amongst others. Who knows, anythiong is possible in the world of steam these days.
Mike

Hi Mike,

I was over at the GWSR at Toddington yesterday, and mentioned
Cadbury No 1 to one of their volunteers who was working on the frame
of 2807. He told me that No 1 had been there as a static display at
their last steam festival, was not in running order, and had returned to
its owners after the event. No work was carried out by the GWSR.

Kind regards

Dave

Wonder if Cadbury's No.1 was actually allowed inside the shed with the trucks shown on this official company postcard. Can anyone who worked at or knew Cadbury's please let us know

THis one was broken up i believe in Tipton, a place in Eagle Lane.

Sorry Pic wont upload. Same engine as No1 only this one was No5

Cadbury's loco No.1 on shed, during organised visit to Bournville. March 1955. The loco water supply pipe comes from a tank within the shed. Older men still wore hats or caps. The overcoat is challenged here by the early appearance of a duffle coat.
(Roger Carpenter collection, courtesy Don Powell)

81D0FE97-FE1A-4AD0-B2B2-F4F104482029.jpeg

This is a nice picture of Cadbury No. 1 heading from the factory towards the sidings. This 0-4-0T loco was made by Avonside in 1925 and now resides at the Birmingham Railway Museum in Tyseley.
1668970453457.pngphoto thanks to DJ Norton

Back