• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

hi. today i was asked if i remember the.half coated Cadbury biscuit with the rippled chocolate on one side. I could not think of the name of them.but i did remember them...... WHAT WERE THEY CALLED. anyone tell me, please

Eric
I think most of the comments, while they may refer to the "Americans", really mean one American company, Kraft, later Mondelez, who spawned rubber artificial cheese and now seem to be intent on pushing their revolting Oreo into everything. Hopefully the latter efforts will go the same way as "Philadelphia with Cadburys Dairy milk" (UGH)
i think "Philadelphia bung. was like the advert for it terrible. 1599719969385.png

Cadbury''s

I retired from Cadburys about 8yrs ago I worked on the milk tray belt for about 15 yrs when it went on to automation, I worked on various packing belts before that. At the end of 2008 I have heard the milk tray line is moving to Poland, some of the workers are taking redundancy others are moving to another room, with so much machinery in there now they dont need so many staff so I would imagine some of the jobs are quite lonely, when I was there there was always people to chat and have a laugh with especialy when you were on the packing end of the belt and we always got our number out at the end of the day, but like all factories now they are reducing staff so the happy atmosphere will go and things will never be the same again I am glad I was there when we all enjoyed going to work.
My mum Teresa o Donovan worked at Cadbury so did my brother Jim known as the duck he worked on the maintanence tram

My son in law Alan Payne worked there for 42 years straight from school, he retired from there about 8 years ago, do not know what department he was in. Eric

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville

The 47 million eggs/ year would refer to the larger eggs, not including the creme eggs. The earlier statement that 1.2 million/ day of creme eggs would not fit with that if they were included. Back in the early 1970s, when they were hit with yeast problems giving what the Sunday Times called "exploding eggs", 25 million had to be recycled, and that was not the total years production and was not long after they were first produced.
My mum worked on the cream egg line and I knew a lady who worked in the lab checking for yeast problems

My son in law Alan Payne worked there for 42 years straight from school, he retired from there about 8 years ago, do not know what department he was in. Eric
Jim started on the post when he went there from school the went onto the shop floor .he later joined the lagging team and Cadburys sent him back to collage so that he could get his can g certificate he worked as I pipefitter with a block call ed Stan.

My mum worked on the cream egg line and I knew a lady who worked in the lab checking for yeast problems
My brother Jim started at Cadburys around 1967 or 1968 .mum came from knell cake factory via Lyon cakes in Smethwick to work at Cadburys in the eirley 1970s till ill health took her in 1997 and she had to retire .sadly she past away in 2000.

My wife worked there for a couple of years as well as my Mother in law and my Uncle used to sing in the Cadbury Choir. It was great to go to the Staff shop and but the seconds, we always had a variety of choc in the house, which on reflection perhaps wasn't a good idea but we still enjoyed it

The start of their journey, the decorating room in 1910. A bright and airy workroom. Watercolour probably by H.N. Bradbear. Viv.

501F4BB7-4652-44DE-BDA8-430D92AC7B08.jpeg

I certainly do. I had one. Drop a penny in and get one of those cute chocs, like a minute bar of the real thing. The photo must be of a more modern version as it’s 10p a time. Viv.

Great story Mike, and so of its day, though we were at war, hundreds of thousands dying daily, a much kinder time in many ways to, when a boy I had a friend who lived at Bournville, whose whole family worked at Cadbury's, I remember the factory buildings still painted in camouflage, there was a lot of green spaces around it. Paul

Back