• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

There was a most interesting programme, Channel 5, this evening all about Cadbury's chocolate factory at Bournville. For anyone who missed it it will be shown again (if it hasn't already :D).

Ladies from Cadbury's cycling in 1905. I had a go at identifying the road but can't remember whether I found it or not ... :)
1905CadburyCycles.jpg

Cadbury Ladies about to set off on a cycle ride. Their cycles have chain guards so their long dresses won't get caught in the chains. No date for the pic but it looks early 1900s. The trees in the road look well protected as they did in the post#418 pic.
CadburyLadiesCycle.jpg

Ladies bicycles usually had a chain guard. One good thing about a ladies bicycle, if there was one at hand, was that in icy conditions or snow when your wheels went into a slide you could usually safely end up in a standing position - as the bicycle went beneath you. Whereas a mans bicycle, with crossbar usually meant you ended up lying on the ground! :eek:
iu

I had a good look at Linden Road but could not seem to find the houses on the right ... perhaps I will have another look ... :)
I did put some views of the road and aerial views in the 'Then and Now' thread see quote below ... click title bar 'up-arrow' to go there ....
A nice view of tree lined Linden Road Bournville in the 1920s. The Carillon Tower in the distance.
index.php

Still tree lined today
index.php

An aerial view of the area taken in 1928. The Carillon Tower on the left with Bournville Lane crossing Linden Road on the right and the Cadbury factory.
index.php

An aerial view now and the Carillon Tower has changed and changes at Cadburys.
index.php

images from 'britainfromabove', Google and Apple.

Last edited:
At first I too thought it might be Linden Road, but I think it's more likely to be Bournville Lane. Linden Road is relatively straight, whereas Bournville Lane has more curves. Also, it's quite possible the girls are going to/or leaving work at Cadburys. The growth of trees along these roads makes it quite difficult to pinpoint the exact spot the photo was taken. Viv.

I have a different photo of a similar scene, but different, titled "Bournville girls leaving cycle house" Not sure exactly where it was , but would be somewhere on what I knew as the girls grounds, opposite the factory on Bournville lanebournvillr women leaving cycle house.jpg rounds, opposite the factory on Bournville lane

Attachments

• bournvillr women leaving cycle house.jpg
    bournvillr women leaving cycle house.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 7
It looks to me as if the ladies are the same in both Mike's and Mohawk's pictures. Clothing, hats, jewellery etc appear to be the same in both pictures the only difference being the position of the camera and ladies. Taken on different days perhaps or have they been asked to pose for the pictures.

Looking at the pic in post#426 I can see a large building behind the cycle house positioned at right angles to it and a building on the right near the road to which the path descends to.
I think they are the buildings I have marked on the 1914 map below.
Red marks the cycle house.
Blue marks the building behind the cycle house.
Green marks the building to the right near the road.
Orange marks the path to the road as seen in post#421.
1914map.jpg

This aerial view dated 1928 possibly shows three buildings reference the map in #431.
The red spot marks the building which could be the cycle house.
The blue spot marks the one behind and to the right of the cycle house.
The green spot marks the building adjacent to Bournville Lane.
aerial1928.jpg
image from 'britainfromabove'

Old mohawk
I think you right about the cycle house. However the green-spotted building is not the same as on the map, as it was the purpose-built branch of the Birmingham Municipal Bank built after 1920.The blue building would seem to have expanded from the period of the map, and has since expanded again and is the Bournville club
The earlier post of the road is definitely Bournville lane, as can be seen from the attached photo of a similar period. Note fence design

bournville lane poss. c1920s.jpg

Back