• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

I think, when you went by in the train, that was where Q block was, where all the packaging was printed (they did most of their own then)
All I saw Mike was the name on the top of the building. Anyone who travels 'Cross Country' from the SW to NE and Scotland will know the crawl often experienced due to the slow local commuter trains which also use the line once in the suburbs. On my occasion there it did mean I got a good look at old places and was able to point out some landmarks out to my wife who had never been in that area before.

I think, when you went by in the train, that was where Q block was, where all the packaging was printed (they did most of their own then)
In early 1970's my wife worked in art studio at Cadbury on finished art, preparing designs for printing. In I think the"Terrapin" building, is that the right name? One day could be working on full colour packaging designs and the next on "end labels", in those days all hand drawn.

Sticher its a great photo of what they called the "Crush Hall" which is a corridor built on steel stilts and brick that runs across your photo, it stretched from Bourneville lane to Q block where the printers where it must have been nearly half a mile long and at 7.42am and 4.42pm you would know why they used the name "Crush Hall"

In I think the"Terrapin" building, is that the right name?
I think "Terrapin" was a make of temporary building. When I started teaching we had some "Terrapin" classrooms - mind you they lasted for years!

Rhythmic dancing by employees at the Bournville Works. There is no date or stamp on this postcard but I would guess it is late 20s to early 30s. There is an upright piano being played on the lawn. Dave.

Scan_20171104 (2).jpg

The caption on the photo in " A postcard from Bournville" states In 1908 members of the gilr's athletic club could take part in morris dancing two days a week. In 1923 a folk dance society was formed . Not that that necessarily means anything with regard to this photo.
I suspect this photo was taken in the Girl's Grounds, near where the Bournvile Club is now

Does anybody know if there are records kept of ex employees my great aunt uncle and grandfather worked there way back, think my great aunt retired late 60´s to early 70´s

Scan_20171106 (2).jpg I must admit that I had never heard of Rowheath lake or the Pavilion, plus its association with Cadbury's, until I bought this undated postcard on Saturday. Some information on the Pavilion is provided below. Dave.

Rowheath Pavilion
heart of the community

Our History
Rowheath Pavilion was opened by the Cadbury family in July 1924 as a changing facility and clubhouse for the many acres of sports playing fields, the bowling greens, the fishing lake and lido. The Pavilion also hosted elaborate balls and dinners, and the whole area was designed for the benefit of the Cadbury workers and their families. It was a place to meet, to relax, to stay healthy and to enjoy some free time together, at the heart of a lively community.

Following the introduction, in the 1970’s, of more stringent health and safety regulations regarding outdoor swimming pools sadly the lido was closed. Over the years the Pavilion building itself fell into disrepair and for a while it was actually closed down. In 1985 it was re-opened by a local a management group and latterly the running of the building was adopted by Pavilion Christian Community, the church who meet here every Sunday. Since 2003 the Pavilion has enjoyed a new lease of life, seeing a community cafe and playground added to the main Terrace Room, the gathering room and the bar. The many and varied dance, arts, craft, children’s groups, sports and fishing facilities are available throughout the week and the building is, once again, a thriving cultural and social venue, hosting weddings, parties, concerts, pantomimes and craft events all year.

This is for "Castalla" and "Catherine Susans" and anyone else looking for similar information.

Hi. I may be able to steer you in a (hopefully) useful direction. Back in 2011 I had similar questions and had been referred to the Cadbury "Bourneville Works Magazine".
A cousin had found reference to a number of our common relatives in said magazine. Needing as much information as I could obtain I e-mailed Cadbury and was re-directed
to their "Information Assistant Archivist". One Jackie Jones came back to me with data on over a dozen relatives from numerous departments. As I said, this was in 2011 so I
don't know if Jackie is still there but her contact is (or was): [email protected]
Give this address a try and you might find what you're looking for.

Best wishes and lots of luck. OldBrummie.

Was this taken at the Bournville factory ? No date for this one, but possibly 1930s ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Or possibly 40s. don't recognise the building as being at Bournville, though it would have been quite a while before I was there.

The Cadbury working conditions for women in the early 1900s must have made it the best workplace for women of its time. Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg 1930s postcard

View from the station. No date for this postcard. I notice railway trucks have "M R"logo. Was this Midland Railways ? Viv.

image.jpeg

That is correct Vivienne. The Midland Railway became, along with others, the LMS in 1923. The trucks are empties, might have been coal but I guess there were many things that arrived by rail. The Cadbury thread has some details, I believe, about the extensive system Cadbury had, Although the date of 1923 was the 'grouping' as it was called it could be some years before the MR lettering was over painted.

Back