• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

The firm, despite the Quaker tradition, did in fact, for many years make an alcoholic assortment, called Royal Household. However it was supplied only to the selected few (other than rejects which appeared in the chocolate shop) , those being the Royal family, directors, and presumably some other selected people. These were handmade by a special team of women in the development department under Paul Balhorne, an aristocratic-sounding chocolatier, who was I gather in fact Swiss.

Very surprised Mike. That sounds like they were similar to chocolate liqueurs. I remember liqueurs being regarded as something only those with 'class' would buy. And they were usually given at Christmas as a specialty. The Cadbury tradition may have been the start of liqueurs in this country. But I don't remember any specific Cadbury liqueur chocolates, I think they tended to be produced by other countries. I remember boxes of liqueurs having foreign writing on them. Viv.

Last edited:
Sorry Viv, did not make it clear, they were never formopen sale, just for the Roiyal family as gifts and directors etc.

We had these mugs for our nightcap of Bournvita in the 1950s. There was nothing like sitting in front a glowing coal fire with a mug of Bournvita. Adored the stuff. I thought our mugs had a man-in-the-moon on them but it must have been these. Viv.

image.jpeg

To go back to the subject of the thread. Here is a mug cast for the Lords Taverners match at Bournville in 1979 played to celebrate the centenary of the foundation of Bournville. Not very good photos, but taken with my phone as my camera needs recharging

Attachments

• cadbury mug 1979 centenary 1.jpg
    cadbury mug 1979 centenary 1.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 10
  • cadbury mug 1979 centenary 2.jpg
    cadbury mug 1979 centenary 2.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 9
Mike. Interesting that they chose to cast them as lookalike earthenware for that 'times gone by look' Viv

The match was played on 12 August 1979. I can imagine a gloriously sunny day, sound of cricket ball on willow, lounging in the shade of the delightful Bournville Cricket Pavillion. Oh to be in England. Viv.

image.jpeg

The match was played on 12 August 1979. I can imagine a gloriously sunny day, sound of cricket ball on willow, lounging in the shade of the delightful Bournville Cricket Pavillion. Oh to be in England. Viv.

View attachment 104308

It`s nice to hear a woman waxing lyrical about cricket, which of course is no longer just for the boys. Excuse my ignorance, but did they play test cricket at the Bournville ground or just at Edgbaston, or maybe they`re one & the same?

Here is a pieces showing an aerial view of the factory in 1979, and , above it, showing how factory expanded. From Bournville Reporter Sept.1979. Many other changes have occurred since then. Q Block (which made packaging), the very long block on the bottom right hand side, went many years ago, and is now a car park, and other buildings nearer Bournville Lane have also gone , partly replaced by Cadbury World

Cadburys_bournville_factory_over_the_ages.jpg

i have an orginal copy of a smashing book printed in 1931...A CENTURY OF PROGRESS OF CADBURY BOURNVILLE 1831 TO 1931..price 2/- from its humble beginnings from its crooked lane warehouse ..some great drawings and photos including the workers etc...

lyn

Last edited:
MY son-in-law Alan, now 63 yo and retired, worked for Cadbury's for 40 years, and what a great firm to work for. He was diagnosed with cancer of the lymph gland a few years before retirement, they visited him in Selly Oak hospital regularly, when he had the all clear they paid for him and his Wife (my daughter) a holiday in Devon, and when he returned to work give him 2 months 'light duties'. This of cause was before the yanks bought it, doubt if they would give him the same treatment. Eric

I agree Eric. The firm (then) did always treat staff as real people. In one case (not at bournville but at Reading), a girl (who had only been with the firm for a few years) left to get another job in journalism, and a month or so later was diagnosed with cancer. Our director , when he heard of this , told he she could be reinstated at Reading with the benefits that the firm gave if she wished , so that she could take it easy for her (hopeful) recovery. Unfortunately she did not recover, but I always remembered that consideration.

Cadbury coaster.JPG Didn't realise I was using this piece of Cadbury's advertising , a coaster ,on my bedroom side cupboard for my early morning cup of tea until I thought it needed a clean!!!

Morning everyone.
Fridays Fruit, Flowers and vegetables sale near the gate on the way out. All home grown and at cost price. What a great company to work for. Rebecca Cadbury, a great grand daughter trained as a barrister but got bored and then trained as a doctor. She made a house call and was held hostage for a long time as the person was demanding drugs. She has the real spirit of the Cadbury family to help people, a great person to know.
Best wishes to everyone...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

Not sure if this is in the right place. This question may have been asked before but after a picnic lunch today the subject turned to selection boxes (we both fancied some chocolate but as we were in a field it was a bit difficult to get any). Christmas wouldn't have been the same without one of these in the 50's. Always with a 'game' on the back that no-one ever did. I wondered if anyone knows when they first appeared? Our conversation then turned to contents and we could only remember a chocolate bar, fudge bar and crunchie. Was there anything else? Not sure about buttons - did they come later? I kept getting mixed up with Rowntrees selection boxes.

H Lady P. I always got a selection box and have carried it on with my own children. (Even though they're far too old for that sort of thing). I think there might have been buttons in mine but I'm talking about late 1950s. Can't remember too much about the contents as I was always focused on munching my way through them! But I'm sure selection boxes these days have much smaller items - the old selection boxes contained full sized bars. Remember the games on the back of the box too and you're right, no-one ever played them. And sometimes it was figures you could cut out and stand up. Never did that either! Viv.

My Son-in-Law Alan worked there for 42 years, he's always saying what a great firm to work for - until it was sold off ! He recently took early retirement. There was always 'broken chocolates' in their house bought cheap from the factory shop, no wonder my daughter was overweight !

eric my aunt is in her 80s now and retired about 20s years back so she must have been there in the 50s...i well remember her visiting us down villa st in the 60s and she always came with boxes of those penny chocolates for us kids..mom had to hide them so that would last us..happy days

lyn

According the the Cadbury site, milk chocolate buttons were first made in 1960. Been looking for an original packet of the buttons but can't find one. Instead I found this vintage Buttons Piggy Bank. Doubtless it was a favourite Christmas gift for children. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
There was always a tube of Spangles, which I left 'til last! My brother used to try to be the slowest eater, so that he had stuff at the end and could tease me! My brother never did like me much anyway

Back