• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

wendylee

master brummie
Yes, I knew much of the Bournville estate was Cadbury built and 'owned'. I went to college there for a while and a resident worked for my father. It is a lovely, generally unspoilt area and when I travelled north by train I could see much I that I recognized was still there. I used the sports facilities and baths there and am very pleased that much is still in use.
I went to college there too, I was sent for one year by the GPO, I was 17 when I started there when I began as a telephonist at telephone house, they made you go to college till you were 18.

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I'm a bit sickened and ashamed at the anti American comments under that piece, do they not know that had the Americans not come in and sacrificed their young lives alongside our boys they would all most likely be alien peasants of the great German Third Reich.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eric
I think most of the comments, while they may refer to the "Americans", really mean one American company, Kraft, later Mondelez, who spawned rubber artificial cheese and now seem to be intent on pushing their revolting Oreo into everything. Hopefully the latter efforts will go the same way as "Philadelphia with Cadburys Dairy milk" (UGH)

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
The book by Deborah Cadbury, Chocolate Wars, is available to read by “borrowing” for two weeks from the Internet Archive. It is free to register.

A history of the Cadbury family up to more or less the present day.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
A selection of aerial views of the factory. No dates for these. The last image looks like it’s from a magazine. Interesting use of the word “personalities “ - they look like ordinary people (Cadbury workers ?) to me, unlike the expectation today that they would be famous in some way.

The second image certainly succeeds in portraying the factory in the country, whereas the first image seems to suggest a slightly more industrial setting. Viv.

D114FD33-A2D2-4FD3-8AD8-6F26677B3F7D.jpeg

CE690DBF-5F4B-4FB3-B3D5-F51E8E628B58.jpeg

D6617A9D-EEE6-4F0C-97CA-5BB6D1AA5440.jpeg

ccwalsh

Brummie babby
Does anyone know if this photo is taken outside one of the Bournville factories? I am trying to find out if this orchestra was something to do with Cadburys as my Grandad worked for them, and he is in the photo with his father. Maybe it is the orchestra with Bournville Musical society? Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do not think it is Bournville, though do not know other factories well enough to comment on them

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Can you give a name, when linked with an orchestra it may shed some light. There was a Bournville Orchestra but may not have been connected with Cadbury.

Radiorails

master brummie
This link suggests that there was a Bournville Works Orchestra.
Whether that is the one in the photo cannot say.
Many large companies, in the past, had some form of musical group, which ranged from orchestras to brass bands.
Another connected with - and sadly little of its history appears on BHF about it - was The Midland Red Salon Orchestra.
In one of the Midland Red threads a Midland Red coach photo shows that which was used to convey the musicians to their venues.
There is a CD about a Wythall Museum operating day which has the orchestra as an introduction:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
30-piece orchestra & 1st violin and conductor behind the bass drum. The only thing that might give it away is the conductor.

Maurice
1stV_Cond.jpg

Last edited:

ccwalsh

Brummie babby
Can you give a name, when linked with an orchestra it may shed some light. There was a Bournville Orchestra but may not have been connected with Cadbury.
My Grandad,s name was Cyril Cooper and he played either violin or viola and his father Harry Cooper who played the cornet. I don't know anyone else on the photo.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Mike,

I had problems - either nothing or twice or a duplicate picture in one post. If you can delete the second post, I'd be grateful.

Maurice

ccwalsh

Brummie babby
ccwalsh,

Welcome to the Forum. Do you know where your grandfather worked?

Maurice
Hi, he worked in Cadbury's although I'm not sure which part of the factory. He worked this whole working life apart from during the war when he was a policeman.