• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

It does seem an enigma, however, given that Birmingham - and the surrounding areas of the West Midlands, played a great and decisive part in world war two production - maybe this was how Cadburys chose to portray their part in things. I suppose many people might not have associated a chocolate manufacturer with war work, but the advert clearly shows how Cadbury brought much comfort and pleasure to those men and women who were fighting for freedom.

Is not directly to do with the advert, but around 1970 Cadbury;'s still produced a special cocoa drink, then mainly for the navy. It was made from ground cocoa nibs and flour, the flour giving a thicker more energy giving product, though possibly it did not taste as good (I never tasted any, but it was supposed to be a very good drink for naval personnel out at sea in the cold wind). This was the way drinking chocolate had originally been made in the 1800s, the flour absorbing the fat. so that it did not rise to the surface in any unpleasant film. This was replaced in the commercial product, and a big hting made of the new product being pure and unadulterated, and by 1970 the flour-containing product was actually illegal to sell under the food regulations. however, as the stuff for the navy was for the ministry of defence, these rules did not apply.

Hi Viv
here is one going to Bournville Cadburys factory
And if my memory serves me correctivly if your self or should i say phil

could possibly recall this one take from the robbers of our site, co,s i certaily recall it
the Barges bringing milk down the cannal to the factory ,, yes,
here it is,

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Pedro. Must have been many heated debates in the Cadbury family during the war.

The message which came through in the work's magazine of 1914 is that they tried to take account of both sides of the debate. A tricky position for them to navigate as they had many staff fighting in WW1. (Quote below is extracted from beyond the trenches.co.uk)

"In November 1914, the first ‘Factory and the War’ column was published. Contained within is an address given by Cadbury Bros to its employees:

We feel that it is the duty of every one of us to be willing to sacrifice our own immediate interests on behalf of out country. Some have felt it their duty to go to the front, but it is not less incumbent upon those who, for conscientious or other reasons, cannot let their patriotism take this form, to bear their share' "

Viv

sorry for the delay in posting some pages from the old cadbury book i have folks...got side tracked and completely forgot so here they are now..if you click on them and click again on the arrow top right they will enlarge again

lyn

Attachments

• img262.jpg
    img262.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 29
  • img263.jpg
    img263.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 31
  • img264.jpg
    img264.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 30
  • img265.jpg
    img265.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 30
  • img266.jpg
    img266.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 29
  • img267.jpg
    img267.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 30
  • img268.jpg
    img268.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 31
Viv - your post #350. The Galtons were gunmakers and Quakers too. That's always puzzled me. Difficult path to tread I should think.

In the first section of the Illustrated London News article of July 1909 it shows the women’s cricket which was mentioned around post 290.

I like the reference..."but Fairy Kindheart has waved a wand..."

IMG_2058.jpg

1909 Pictures of the Girls’ [the unmarried?] Gymnasium and Shelter and the Men’s Cricket Pavillion and Gymnasium.....

IMG_2059.jpg IMG_2060.jpg IMG_2061.jpg IMG_2062.jpg

Pictures of Men’s open air swimming pool, the Lily Pond in the Girl’s recreation Ground, and Bournville Village...

IMG_2065.jpg IMG_2066.jpg IMG_2067.jpg IMG_2068.jpg

Would guess that picture was from around the 1910s. Hand decorationn at Cadbury's had ended before i Joined them (1967) At thr time, and I think, till about 1973, I understand that Rowntrees still hand decorated their Black Magic chocolates

View attachment 117826
Would this be Cadburys?.
It certainly is part of it Stitcher. The part that I like is that which has the name 'Cadbury' upon it. I have to admit having misty eyes when passing through Bournville by train a few years on my way to York. It was one of the last places I was at - The College on The Green - before moving to Devon.

I think, when you went by in the train, that was where Q block was, where all the packaging was printed (they did most of their own then)

Back