• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cabin Priory Circus.

:shocked:
WOW!!!!!!,what a shocker.That's me & my girlfriend,now my wife,sitting on that bench in the foreground .Must be around 1970/1971.you never know whose around taking photos do ya!!!!

At least its your wife keegs:D

Ray thank you for your imfo .....now l remember the Falstaff pub must have been by the Kings Hall Market as my brother always said he would order two black and tans one to drink and one to soak his muscles in... ugh?....this was in the mid 1950s....and l also remember how scruffy the place looked maybe it was the location.....by the way is it still there ??? and is the market Hall still there ?? ...brenda

Brenda,
Was it scruffy? I never noticed,what struck me the most was it's quaintness,it seemed too be squeezed in between more imposing buildings.Also the gravity pull whereby the barrels of beer were hoisted too the top floor,for the beer too fall naturally too the pumps.
There's nothing wrong with your bro.dunking his mussels in his black and tan,I have done it with natural oysters and guinness.:shock::)

Mossy,
How about the "The Gem" - "The Lamp" and "The Falstaff" the last one, was a gravity pull.:)

The Lamp Tavern in Barford St, was until recent extensions the smallest pub in Birmingham, being formerly one of the terraced houses that used to fill the street. In the 1911 census, George and Jane Phillips ran it, they and seven of their children aged between 4 and 26 lived there!

View attachment 44112

Lloyd,
That's not "The Lamp" I had in mind,the one I meant was next door to Grey's, in Bull St.
Nice pic though,I didn't know about that one.:rolleyes:

Ray

This would be the Lamp that you are referring to, wouldn't it?

Phil

LampHotelnexttoGreysBullSt.jpg

Brenda,

The Falstaff was in Bull Street on the right hand side coming up from Dale End / High St. Just after Dalton St and just before Corporation St.

Phil

Thanks Phil,that's the one.
As soon as I saw that photo.everything fell into place,and I remembered where the falstaff was.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Phil and Ray thank you again for the info on the Falstaff....l knew it must have been around Bull Street also l always approached it going down hill or so it seemed...Ray l really don't know if it was scruffy as l never went in it l was'nt old enough wished l had though as l'm sure it had "atmosphere"...you did'nt answer my question is it still there after all these years, or has it gone along with so many memories of Brum l have....Brenda

It would be very suprising if it was still there Brenda,I would think it passed into history,and became hardcore for a new road somewhere,years ago:(...but I'm not sure,haven't been around there for many years.:rolleyes:

Brenda,

The Falstaff was in Bull Street on the right hand side coming up from Dale End / High St. Just after Dalton St and just before Corporation St.

Phil

I think I remember that pub, you could walk through to Martineau Square market, it was sort of behind Oasis market. I think there was a Holland and Barrett branch just next door. I think I went in once but I have no recollection of what it was like inside.

The Cabin I certainly remember from the 60's we used to go from a drink in there on a Friday lunch time from the office where I worked!

I think I remember that pub, you could walk through to Martineau Square market, it was sort of behind Oasis market. I think there was a Holland and Barrett branch just next door. I think I went in once but I have no recollection of what it was like inside.

The Cabin I certainly remember from the 60's we used to go from a drink in there on a Friday lunch time from the office where I worked!

I think you are probably thinking of the Costamonger.

Unless Im mistaken when The Mazeppa was opened didnt they get Oliver Reed to perform the opening duties. Must have been in profit for months!!

The Falstaff was in Bull Street on the right hand side coming up from Dale End / High St. Just after Dalton St and just before Corporation St.Phil. Quote. I went in The Falstaff with my mate, Bill circa 1950?, if my memory is right we went down 2 steps? and inside was oldy worldy there were tiles on the walls, wooden floor quite small room full of tobacco smoke with lots of talking going on, the bar was on the l/hand side divided by a wood, glass & tiled divider, when we walked in the talking stopped, we were wearing gabadine raincoats Bill had trilby hat on both 6ft tall, age 21yrs, we ordered 2 pints beer, asking the barman why it had gone quiet he said they think you are police detectives but now they see you are drinking they will talk again! we drank up and left, never went in again!!!. Len.

Back