• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

C W S Factory, Tyseley

Radiorails

master brummie
140px-Headbadge_cws_bootiebike.com_2.gif
The Co-OP (CWS) made bicycles at their Tyseley works. I seems they also made motor cycles. Prams and toys were also part of their production.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sludgeulper/8377916873/in/photostream/
Within this link are many of the former products and trade names used by the CWS. I am sure many will recall them.

https://vintagemotorcyclecwsfederal1922.wordpress.com/tag/tyseley/

The two images below are from "the Peoples Yearbook: An annual of facts and figures on co-operative labour and allied subjects" 1924. Was this a factory producing a whole range of items or were they contracted out in some way ? Seems very ambitious (and was it cost effective ?) to produce so much from one factory. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Co-Op viewed things somewhat differently to other companies. Their objective was to supply goods and services to their Members. Consequently their products were only sold to the shops within the Co-Operative Movement so production was not on the competitive scale of most manufacturers.

Last edited:
In 1940-50 my father worked at the Co-op factory in Redhill Rd. as transport manager. They made furniture, the factory had it's own transport fleet, Luton style vans, I remember a day out touring around the north midlands with one of the drivers. "During the war" I would go with my mother to the factory to collect his wages, not sure how this was financed as dad was in N.Africa in eighth army so certainly not contributing much to the Co-op. Does anyone know how this worked? Later, post war,the factory was transferred to Shirley.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20180322-081902.jpg Both my parents worked at the CWS factory in the late 40s. In fact this is where they first met after a brief encounter at Walford road roller skating rink. At that time my dad was a carpenter making pram frames and my mom was a pram upholster. My mom stayed on and transfered to cycle manufacture in the factorys final years. My Dads brother also worked there too as a bike frame welder.

Last edited:
Over the weekend I came across a couple of photos of my Mom at the CWS, Tysley works, Kings Road, the first was taken in the late 40's in the upholstery machine shop. The second is of her upholstering a toy pram in the early 50's. The off cuts from making the pram frames were often brought home and were a cheap source of entertainment for me as I used to play with them until they were eventually used as firewood! With that high factory roof how cold must it have been to work there in the winter?

Seeing the factory interior again from Google street view brings back memories of my Nan taking me to meet Mom from work and being lifted up to place her time card in the clock machine, sited on the far wall just up the ramp inside the loading bay.

upload_2018-6-4_9-35-42.png

The final photo is of my Mom in the early 60's on cycle wheel assembly. This is very memorable as it would have been taken around the time I got my first bike.

I had been forbidden to ride or even own a two wheeled bike after my Dad had seen young boy killed by a passing lorry while riding on a main road. I had a 3 wheeled bike and scooter - all CWS but I was the only child in the street that didn't own a two wheeled bike and neither had I learned to ride one! The shame of not being able to ride and being taunted by the girls led to me borrow my mate's bike, it was far too big for either of us and had wooden blocks fitted in order to reach the pedals. Out of site of my Mom and Dad he let me have a go in the gulley at the rear of our house. Although I couldn't reach the saddle or barely touch the peddles he pushed me up to speed and let go. I swayed from side to side sitting astride the cross bar. It was so uncomfortable but I was so amazed I was riding a bike on my own. Then came the problem I had no idea how to turn or stop! The only solution was to fall off! The pain didn't register as I was so excited I could now ride , in a fashion. I rushed home to tell Mom and asked if I could have a bike. The answer was NO. Some time later I found an abandoned bike on my travels and brought it home. There were 3 issues. The first, I wasn't allowed a bike, the second it was a girls bike, and the third - it had no wheels! But it was a bike. I pleaded again with Mom and the answer was NO. I must have driven her mad because she eventually convinced my Dad to let me keep it. Money was tight so she agreed to buy one part each week from work on pay day. Each Thusrsday evening she would bring home either a wheel, inner tube or tyre. By week six I had a bike. It was only ever allowed to ride on the pavement but what freedom it brought! I also learned to navigate my way to many distant places without going on the road. The furthest was Chelmsley Wood via King George V playing fields, up the track to Marston Green station and beyond. - Oddly enough I think it was a CWS bike - maroon in colour with the name Silver Dawn on the saddle stem! I have seen CWS bikes of the same name but only adult versions.

I went on to have three further CWS bikes, the last was sold to a mate at work in 1978 for £10 - Happy Days!

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-4_10-39-43.png
    upload_2018-6-4_10-39-43.png
    375.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Greetings! Would like to inquire the authenticity/history of a CWS bike I recently purchased on line. It's quite puzzling to read though just few write-ups but it seems the CWS bike factory closed so much earlier than the current make of this bicycle I scrambled upon. See first the original state of the bike when it was salvaged from a pile of 2nd hand bikes from Japan.It does resemble a unique CWS signature of a caliper attached to the bottom bracket and an air pump peg not common to modern bikes anymore. The bike though has double water cage bolt-on (downtube/seatstay)only common to modern bikes. I'm quite puzzled if this CWS bike is the same mabe by the Coop. Tnx.

Attachments

• received_316378553253514.jpeg
    received_316378553253514.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 29
  • received_394463838675858.jpeg
    received_394463838675858.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 31
Небольшая информация о велосипедах CWS delivery bike, "Federal" и "Federation", изготовленных на заводе Kings Road Tyseley, находится здесь:

https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1939-cws-co-op-delivery-cycle/

Вив.
Уважаемые посетители форума, добрый вечер!

Меня зовут Галина.
Внезапно я столкнулся с такой проблемой: была найдена старая велосипедная рама. Говорили, что мой прадед купил его в 1942 году.
Меня заинтересовал бренд, происхождение которого я никак не могу понять.
Буду благодарен за любую информацию об этом бренде.

Attachments

• 20210711_101650.jpg
    20210711_101650.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210629-230701.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-230701.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210629_183843.jpg
    20210629_183843.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Translation of the Russian gives the following text::

Dear forum visitors, good evening!
My name is Galina.
Suddenly I ran into this problem: An old bicycle frame was found. They said that my great-grandfather bought it in 1942.
I was interested in a brand, the origin of which I cannot understand in any way.
I would be grateful for any information about this brand.

Hopefully some of our members with interest in cycles can help our Russian friend

Last edited:
Galina
Welcome to the forum. The following is from "The Coop in Birmingham & the Black Country" by Ned Williams , published 1993.
The Coop in Birmingham started selling cycles in the early 1900s, but obtained them initially from outside suppliers. In 1908 they started assembling them from parts manufactured by other firms the assembly taking place in 12and 14 Pershore Street in Birmingham by 13 employees. In 19 1920 they purchased the factory in Kings Road. Tyseley and by 1928 employed 500 men at Tysely, though here they also manufactured other things, Initially in 1923, perambulators, and later motorcycles , toys, and stacking tubular furniture. The cycles and motorcycles were sold through other Cooperative Societies under the tradename "FEDERATION"

Galina
Welcome to the forum. The following is from "The Coop in Birmingham & the Black Country" by Ned Williams , published 1993.
The Coop in Birmingham started selling cycles in the early 1900s, but obtained them initially from outside suppliers. In 1908 they started assembling them from parts manufactured by other firms the assembly taking place in 12and 14 Pershore Street in Birmingham by 13 employees. In 19 1920 they purchased the factory in Kings Road. Tyseley and by 1928 employed 500 men at Tysely, though here they also manufactured other things, Initially in 1923, perambulators, and later motorcycles , toys, and stacking tubular furniture. The cycles and motorcycles were sold through other Cooperative Societies under the tradename "FEDERATION"

Dear mikejee!

I sincerely thank you not only for your help with information, but also for the warm welcome at the Forum.

140px-Headbadge_cws_bootiebike.com_2.gif
The Co-OP (CWS) made bicycles at their Tyseley works. I seems they also made motor cycles. Prams and toys were also part of their production.
Within this link are many of the former products and trade names used by the CWS. I am sure many will recall them.

https://vintagemotorcyclecwsfederal1922.wordpress.com/tag/tyseley/
Hi, does anyone know if any frame number records still exist? Or any information on how to date a CWS bike frame.

Here's a CWS bike, not that you can see a lot of it. Either 22" or 24" wheels, not new, almost certainly pre-war, with its original black paint heavily repainted and the chrome as polished up as far as its condition allowed.

CMBikeWindyridge1944web750.jpg

And that's me on it. The very first go, on our back lawn in Streetly. I had long outgrown my fairy-cycle and it either lay unused in the garage or it had been sold. This bike was a present from Mum and Dad, and so we are looking at it either on Christmas Day 1943 or on April 7th 1944. Secondhand of course - whether you had the money or not, brand new bikes were virtually unobtainable.

Not long after its appearance I examined its maker's badge, partially obscured by the repainting. A momentary disappointment - I hadn't heard of the CWS make and I was hoping it would say "Hercules" or "Raleigh" or something similar. But very soon forgotten - here was, to me, a NEW bike and one which actually fitted me! The promise it offered - long rides with Mum and Dad, to places like Shenstone and Lichfield, to the Avion Cinema in Aldridge and much else...... All fully met over the next few years until this much-loved machine was replaced, much, much later, with a brand-new bike with the "right" badge and more what they call these days "street-cred". - a REAL Hercules this time!

Chris

Great story. My CWS bike is a Gipsy Moth, I assume from various brochures that its early to mid 60s. I the the frame number clearly stamped on it & would love to date it accurately.
It seems to be very rare & I’ve only ever heard of one other still in existence.
It’s been fully restored by me & finished this weekend - & the help of a excellent frame sprayer, using the original bits that were on the frame - all now re chromed.

Attachments

• E3BFC242-E759-46DD-B470-87D6B54E54E4.jpeg
    E3BFC242-E759-46DD-B470-87D6B54E54E4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • B0124DE3-FFFE-4CD1-90EE-B9E85C8B3193.jpeg
    B0124DE3-FFFE-4CD1-90EE-B9E85C8B3193.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • C24FBE40-437A-438B-A6EF-9E44F317667A.jpeg
    C24FBE40-437A-438B-A6EF-9E44F317667A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Here's a CWS bike, not that you can see a lot of it. Either 22" or 24" wheels, not new, almost certainly pre-war, with its original black paint heavily repainted and the chrome as polished up as far as its condition allowed.

View attachment 172333

And that's me on it. The very first go, on our back lawn in Streetly. I had long outgrown my fairy-cycle and it either lay unused in the garage or it had been sold. This bike was a present from Mum and Dad, and so we are looking at it either on Christmas Day 1943 or on April 7th 1944. Secondhand of course - whether you had the money or not, brand new bikes were virtually unobtainable.

Not long after its appearance I examined its maker's badge, partially obscured by the repainting. A momentary disappointment - I hadn't heard of the CWS make and I was hoping it would say "Hercules" or "Raleigh" or something similar. But very soon forgotten - here was, to me, a NEW bike and one which actually fitted me! The promise it offered - long rides with Mum and Dad, to places like Shenstone and Lichfield, to the Avion Cinema in Aldridge and much else...... All fully met over the next few years until this much-loved machine was replaced, much, much later, with a brand-new bike with the "right" badge and more what they call these days "street-cred". - a REAL Hercules this time!

Chris
looks like the bike and a clip from Goodnight mr tom:grinning:

More of my Gipsy Moth. If anyone has any information on it I’d love to hear about it.
Also if anyone has one that needs a new home & needs restoring- or a similar CWS model let me know as I need another project now!

Attachments

• 3FF42E51-AC1A-41EE-A33A-B7E7CA23033B.jpeg
    3FF42E51-AC1A-41EE-A33A-B7E7CA23033B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Hello! I am doing some family history research. My father's cousin worked at CWS as an "engineer." His father also worked there. Previously they lived in Handsworth. Was the factory making motorcycles as well as bicycles? Can you tell me anything more about their work? They lived in Acocks Green, so not sure if it was a short or long commute to work! Thank you! - Kim

Attachments

• Cyril 1921.JPG
    Cyril 1921.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
From "The Coop in Birmingham & the Black Country" by Ned williams

Attachments

• Tyseley produced CWS motorcycle.jpg
    Tyseley produced CWS motorcycle.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 7
This Co-op factory was just a short walk from Tyseley station which in turn was just one stop from either Acock's Green station or Spring Rd station, depending which line you were travelling along!

This is fantastic. The timing of the 1921 cycle pictured is about right. The family moved from Handsworth, where I think the father worked for BSA.

This Co-op factory was just a short walk from Tyseley station which in turn was just one stop from either Acock's Green station or Spring Rd station, depending which line you were travelling along!
Great! Thank you! I am writing a story about my father's uncle. His son (my father's cousin) grew up at 236 The Avenue, Acocks Green with his grandparents. I'm in the U.S. so it's helpful to get a feel for where they lived, etc.

Hello! I am doing some family history research. My father's cousin worked at CWS as an "engineer." His father also worked there. Previously they lived in Handsworth. Was the factory making motorcycles as well as bicycles? Can you tell me anything more about their work? They lived in Acocks Green, so not sure if it was a short or long commute to work! Thank you! - Kim

Great! Thank you! I am writing a story about my father's uncle. His son (my father's cousin) grew up at 236 The Avenue, Acocks Green with his grandparents. I'm in the U.S. so it's helpful to get a feel for where they lived, etc.
Welcome! The Avenue was, in fact still is right near to Acocks Green railway station and as I said the Co-op factory as close to the next station on the line, Tyseley. Your great uncle would almost certainly have cycled to work.

Welcome to The Forum, enjoy!

Back