• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

C brandaurs is saved...

Thats good Lyn, have to make you the official Brandaurs Project reporter, keep us all informed about further developments
I might even be able to get you a high-viz vest printed with "BHF Official Photographer" for when you next visit.

Colin

Thats good Lyn, have to make you the official Brandaurs Project reporter, keep us all informed about further developments
I might even be able to get you a high-viz vest printed with "BHF Official Photographer" for when you next visit.

Colin

lol col..well it may save me having to explain who i am and what i am doing in and around derelict buildings at my age...used to do this when i was kid....

Very good news Lyn, and thanks for the photos, it was very kind of Gerald Manton to allow you access today and in the future. He must have deep pockets as it will surely cost a fortune to restore. So glad it has been saved from demolition we have lost so many historic buildings over the years.
Next time you see Mr. Manton pass on the gratitude of all BHF members.

hi sylvia and yes you are right..i would imagine that this is going to cost a great deal of money..i will of course pass on members thanks to mr manton should i see him again but i did tell him earlier that hes made an awful lot of brummies happy by taking on such a huge project...

lyn

Nice to know the old buildings are being saved, when so much is being demolished and replaced with ugly monstrosities.
Sue

Proud of you Lyn for taking the initiative & heartfelt thanks to Gerald Manton both for saving this splendid building & taking you round.

Great stuff Lyn. You're a star. Excellent photos of such interesting buildings and glad to hear that it's being rescued. Viv.

Wonderful Lyn, but I hope you are not hoping to rebuild the chimney in your garden - you'd never get all those bricks back home
Mike

lol mike...dont mention bricks i had enough trouble with the last lot....i forgot to ask if the chimney would stay will do that next time i pop down...

lyn

This is such brilliant news!!! I'm so happy. Having never been inside, and only looking at other explorers pics, it would have been a crying shame to has lost this place.

Lyn, if ever you need someone to fill in using the camera, give me shout! I'd chop my right leg off to get in there and have an explore!!! Lol!

Hi Wendy: Thanks for posting this re the rebirth of the Brandeur Building. I had a quick look through the 25 PDF Pages and the company involved
Uncle Properties Ltd have a excellent reputation and have restored many of Birmingham's Heritage properties in recent times. It will be something
to keep an eye on when work starts. I also liked the list of Associate Consultants who come from all the important areas concerning the
restoration of a Heritage building. Looks like it will have a Hotel, Micro Brewery, Retail and a Restaurant.

thanks wend last time i spoke to the owner of the brandaur building march last year he didnt know exactly what the plans were for it...sounds good to me i am so pleased...there is a thread.. c brandeurs saved where i posted the pics i was allowed to take last march..got lost in the hack but i still have them so i will repost them later on...
hi jenny this is briliant news isnt it...just looked at the planning permission link and there is also going to be a public house...just my thoughts here but i think this could be a great future venue for a meet up...

lyn

Last edited:
hi folks..had to go into town today and decided to jump of the bus at newtown and go and take a look at c brandaurs in new john st west to see what state it was in...after taking some pics on the njsw side i walked round into summer lane and noticed that the side entrance to the building was open so hoping for some shots i walked in only to be asked by a man if he could help me so i explained that i was a member of the forum and quite a lot of us have been very concerned as to what will happen to this building...he then told me he was gerald manton the new owner and the contractors are gallypearl and work had now started..well i can tell you i was so relieved. garald is totally dedicated to saving and making good use of listed buildings especially in the jeweller quarter he has also been involved with branston court...92 vyse st and drop forge....the aim is to keep as much of the old bulding as possible and this will include the spiral staircase in the tower..the windows and the caretakers house....it will a long project taking 2 to 3 years to complete and it has yet to be decided on what the building will be used for...have also been given permission to pop down anytime to take pics and get updates on progress....cant thank gerald enough for taking the time out to chat to me and for allowing me take some pics which are to follow..

lyn..

hi i am now bringing this thread to the top including my first post from march 2011 as we now have an important update..thanks again to wendy for spotting the planning application submitted 16th of this month...cant tell you all how delighted i am that plans are now in place for the brandaur building which are as follows..

new business spaces
conversion and extension of the old boiler house to form a micro brewery..
restaurant..
pubic house..
parking..
erection of 5 storey hotel..i have a feeling that the hotel may be built in the large open space at the rear of brandeurs..i will be re posting the pics i took in march 2011..

lyn

Last edited:
Back