• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

C brandaurs is saved...

Hi

I am the great, great grand-daughter of Mr J L Petit who worked with the original Mr Brandauer and I have only once seen the advert at the desk you posted some years ago - isn't it brilliant. There was a set of them and they are all marvellous. As the Company archivist I am trying to sort out our history as we celebrate 150 years in 2012 and we are still very much going as a Company just around the corner from the original building. Any information or copies of associated documents would be really appreciated as would stories and information. Thank you Marie-Louise

The front of the Brandauer factory is to be left standing, the inside is going to be gutted and apartment built on the site. Len.

Hi, That is most interesting. However, that is not what I understood from the new owners of the old building built by my great, great grandfather when I spoke to him last week. Thanks for letting me know.
Best wishes
Malp

Marie-Louise, I read that about the Brandauer factory in this or last weeks Birmingham Mail it was a very small report in the inside pages. Len.

Hi

Yes, I saw an article in the Mail about the factory next door to the current Brandauer factory being turned into a Church. They stated it was Brandauers but it isn't as I have been sent the planning permission for the factory next door in Frankfort Street to be a Church. Brandauer is extremely busy in Bridge Street West. Maybe you have read a different article? I'm delighted that our old factory has been bought (last Wednesday) and look forward to seeing new life spreading through the plot. Thanks ML

At least it is properly boarded up now. We went past on Tuesday I find it so sad it's such a lovely building.

hi wend..i noticed that also..must have a look next time i go past to see if the back of the building is also boarded up as access to it was so easy..i really fear for this lovely building wend.it was up for sale some time back but not sure if any sale went through..

lyn

hi folks..had to go into town today and decided to jump of the bus at newtown and go and take a look at c brandaurs in new john st west to see what state it was in...after taking some pics on the njsw side i walked round into summer lane and noticed that the side entrance to the building was open so hoping for some shots i walked in only to be asked by a man if he could help me so i explained that i was a member of the forum and quite a lot of us have been very concerned as to what will happen to this building...he then told me he was gerald manton the new owner and the contractors are gallypearl and work had now started..well i can tell you i was so relieved. garald is totally dedicated to saving and making good use of listed buildings especially in the jeweller quarter he has also been involved with branston court...92 vyse st and drop forge....the aim is to keep as much of the old bulding as possible and this will include the spiral staircase in the tower..the windows and the caretakers house....it will a long project taking 2 to 3 years to complete and it has yet to be decided on what the building will be used for...have also been given permission to pop down anytime to take pics and get updates on progress....cant thank gerald enough for taking the time out to chat to me and for allowing me take some pics which are to follow..

lyn..

Last edited:
front of the building on njsw

Attachments

• P1000499.JPG
    P1000499.JPG
    405.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
back of the the njsw side of the building..

damage caused by fire a few months back..luckily only one floor was lost...

Attachments

• P1000502.JPG
    P1000502.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P1000503.JPG
    P1000503.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P1000505.JPG
    P1000505.JPG
    891 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
caretakers house which will also remain...

Attachments

• P1000511.JPG
    P1000511.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
some more..

Attachments

• P1000509.JPG
    P1000509.JPG
    501.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P1000513.JPG
    P1000513.JPG
    801.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
the tower that houses the spiral staircase..you can just see it through the bottom right window...sorry about the smoke..

Attachments

• P1000506.JPG
    P1000506.JPG
    444.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
through here is the second part of the building which until now was inaccessible due to dense overgrowth...owing to this the windows on this side were saved from being damaged as much as the others..

Attachments

• P1000508.JPG
    P1000508.JPG
    505.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
pics of the second part of the building...

Attachments

• P1000514.JPG
    P1000514.JPG
    565.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000515.JPG
    P1000515.JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000516.JPG
    P1000516.JPG
    533.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
few more..

Attachments

• P1000517.JPG
    P1000517.JPG
    487.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000518.JPG
    P1000518.JPG
    590.9 KB · Views: 5
  • P1000519.JPG
    P1000519.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 5
  • P1000520.JPG
    P1000520.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
think this is the last one folks...didnt want to outstay me welcome lol...

Attachments

• P1000497.JPG
    P1000497.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Wow Lyn this is fantastic news. I love the building and am so glad it will not only be saved but a lot of it preserved. I think I mentioned before, our old next door neighbour John Doughty who I still see from time to time told me his grandparents were caretakers and lived in the house. He visted them often and has happy childhood memories of visiting his grandparents. I can now tell him the good news. What a great piece of luck or was it fate? The photo's are brilliant I knew it was in a pretty bad state. Well done Gerald and how kind to let us see the progress. I wonder if he is related to the Manton family from the Jewellery Quarter.

Thanks Lyn for taking the time to do this. xx

thanks wend but none needed...its given me great pleasure to report this news after a long time of not knowing whats to become of the buildining...i nearly stayed on the bus because it was so cold this morning....so pleased i didnt now....i will ask next time about a possible connection with the mantons from the jewellery quarter...

lyn

Well done Lyn,thats great news the building brings back memories of my childhood as i was born less than 200yds from there.My Great Grandmother,Grandmother and her sister were all working there on the 1901 census.Thanks Lyn and keep up the good work.Moss.

Back