• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

C A Sothers

carolina

master brummie
Does anyone have any photos of C A Sothers on Hockley Hill. Would be most obliged if you could post onto this thread. Many thanks.

Hello Carolina this is an interesting question for me I worked for a company just round the corner in Barr St we were a much bigger firm than Sothers but in the same trade in the 60s. I can only remember a small shop front on the side of the then new flyover if that is what you want I know the building is still there but I think they have moved out,the company is still trading and doing quite well. Dek

Thanks Dek - I understand they are still trading and doing quite well. I suppose its memorabilia and photos that are required if anyone has any. All round that area is special to me living in Hockley for many years and working at some time at Swallow Raincoats. Regards Carol

Hi Caroline - I served my apprenticeship there in the late 60's but do not have any photographs. I remember old Charlie Sothers and was there when he was killed in a car acident. He was a lovely old man.

Have you thought of emailing the company? Mabzx

An old friend from many years ago worked there and eventually became the Works Director and I was with him recently and he talked so fondly of the firm Bill Edmonds. It was a general enquiry for him. Do you remember him?

Yes Carolina I remember Bill well. He was a lovely man who was always helpful to us apprentices. If I remember rightly, he was a bit of a sportsman as well? Another person that I remember well is John Dawson. he worked along side of Bill and was very supportive in my skills development. Keith

Keith, so glad you remember Bill, he is still a very nice person and is living in Kings Heath. I have attached 3 photos of Bill in the 60s. The third one is with my brother Derek. Regards Carol

I worked there for a very short period, must have been about 1965ish, my mate was an apprentice there, Joey Hut, and the only other name i remember is Terry Wright, i got the feeling he wasn't too popular with the others, bit of a creep around the boss. They had a motor rewind work shop upstairs if i remember but can't think of the blokes name, big fella.

bren

I started my apprenticeship with Sothers in 1968. The high standard of training that I received from all of the electricans there allowed me to build a wonderful career in both industry and now in further education.

I worked with each of the electricians mentioned including Alan Stanley, Joey Hutt and Terry Wright (later became a foreman) and now I possess happy memories of my years there.

Alan Stanley had a wonderful personality and, if my memory serves me correctly, suffered from aloplecia? I worked with him on many sites throughout my time at Sothers.

Likewise, I worked with Joey Hutt on many sites including Bristol. He was a quiet, reserved individual who strangely loved loud 'progressive' music.

I really liked Terry Wright, he and John Dawson (now deceased) helped and supported me immensely throughout my training and development. I think Terry emmigrated to Australia?

Other apprentices that I remember were Ben Casey, Paul Aston, John Stansbie, Arthur Lewis, Sid McGuire, Phil Craddock (now deceased) and many more.

Sothers were a great company to work for, especially as an apprentice..... They trained their apprentices really well. Happy days

Mabz

Last edited:
I remember Alan Stanley and yes, he did have a wonderful personality, he was very approachable, would get on with anyone. As for Joey Hutt, we grew up together, he lived a few houses up on the opposite side of the road to me in Kingstanding but i have not seen or heard of him since our teens, don't suppose you have any idea if he is still around.

bren

Hi to the folks tracking down old workmates at C.A. Sothers - does anyone remember a guy called John Mack (McLoughlin) Lived on the Pheasey estate and was probably at Sothers around the mid fifies. He now lives in the USA. I shall be contacting him by phone and ask him if any of the names mentioned mean anything to him - I'm sure he will be glad to get news of old pals.

Bren - I met up with Joey Hutt about 8/10 years ago. He was up-dating his qualifications at Sutton Coldfield College. I haven't seen him since but I think that he was still at Sothers then?

Mabz

Hi Mayfield, if he was at Sutton College he probably still lived local i would think, by local i mean Birmingham or surrounding areas, think i will do a bit of searching and see if i can locate him, thanks for that

bren

RAY- I worked at C A Sothers from 1960 in the rewinding shop with Ray Lyons Ray Davies I know terry hunt bill Edmonds eddy breakwell paul aston we attended garrets green college david sothers worked in the shop repairing radio/TV's next door was REAL who`s canteen we used. Frank Allen was a breakdown electrician Bryan Hinton married charley`s daughter. The TT races were visited each year Wally Whatmore was the foreman for electricians and Ray Lyons was the rewind shop foreman Mr Sothers had a 10 horse motor in the boot of his old Herald car to help traction ever winter. Mates were regularly locked in the ovens during lunch time.
contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Ray - if I remember correctly, Charlie Sothers was killed in a road accident in the late 60's?

Mayfield -correct Charlie was kill in a road accident. Do you remember Wally Watmore RSM. and Sid in the stores who gave us our time sheets every morning. I see you are ex Lozells well I was born in Gower street 19??.

Ray - I remember Phil Craddock, Paul Aston, Arthur Lewis, Sid McGuire, Joey Hutt, Alan Stanley, John Dawson, Ben Casey, John Stainby, Ray Lyons, , Ray Spires, Bob Green, Bob Thomlinson, etc. etc

happy memories

Hi my name is linda...I worked at CA sothers 1962-1965. I worked in the office with marg smith. I knew Bill Edmonds, John Dawson, Alan Standley, Roger Harris, Edie Smith..who worked in the shop & my uncle Arthur Ashford...director. My Dad also worked there..Sid Ashford, he worked in the stores before Bill. Had some good laughs!!! I knew Mr Sothers very well & his dog too.
Lots of stories to tell...

Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Alan Stanley please I am a friend of his from years ago.

Robert Lowe.

Hi Linda - I was an apprentice at Sothers from about 1968ish (memory fading....) I have fond memories of Charlie - he was great to us apprentices and always treated us extremely well. Sothers were a really good firm to work for and provided us apprentices with sound training.

Keith

Yes he was he was killed at Four Oaks lights Rosemary hill rd with his dog. Very sad!!! Jasper the dog sat next to me eating biscuits in my office.
Linda

Hi Linda,
I have just joined Birminghamhistory I also worked at Sothers from 1959to1974 and have been getting nostalgic of late. I now live in south Wales and recently tried to find David Sothers in Tenbury but had no luck . I've been reading about the good old days , remember the ironmonger across the road we apprentices were sent for a long wait!!! memories come flooding back. please keep me updated.
Regards Bob Jennings aka redex

Back