• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

C & A Modes Corporation street

CaroleC

master brummie
Did anyone work at C&A Modes in corporation street in the late 60s early 70s would love to hear some names.:unconscious:

Hi, I worked there from about 1966 to 1968, in the dispatch deparment. Eunice McConnell.

I was possibly there then worked on ground floor knitwear, then went up to top floor with a girl called wiggy makepiece she had very blonde hair. I remember a Mr Kenlyside and a supervisor with greyish hair always smoking and a Miss owen.

I was a "Saurday Girl" in 1966 as I was still at school. I worked on the ground floor in skirts. I remember Miss Winspear but I don't know what her position was. My mom used to work at C&A (coats an' 'ats!) in the mid-40s and Miss. Winspear worked at C&A then.

I don't think C&A was actually in Corporation Street, although maybe there was an entrance. The main entrance was in the arcade, next to where Henry's used to be. C&A moved to Corporation Street and then the store became Beaties. No idea what it is now.

I must have joined C&A about 1964 I was there for 2 - 3 years and it was certainly in Corporation street then. We used to go for lunch at Kunzle's in the arcade, and take back sausage and chips on paper plates to the canteen. The entrance was in the arcade. I remember miss Winspear and Miss Owen she was our supervisor...

Does any one remember Mary Mills Im trying to trace her as I used to live in the same grove

hi does anyone know ANNE PORTER who worked at c&a corporation street about 1969/1970s if so and you are still in contact with her can you please let her know that steve ryan is trying to get in touch with her i was in dr barnados hostel 8 st agnes road in moseley b13 when we first met i would love to make contact with her again i have been trying to find her for the best part of 40 yrs on and off i would be grateful for any help in finding her the reason for wanting to find her is she helped me so much back then and i would like to repay some of her kindness back shown towards me thank you steve ryan.

hi are you finding it hard to locate people who worked at c&a in the 1960s 1970s ive been trying to find a lass who worked there then called anne porter but no luck yet i have tried to find her on allsorts of sites its very hard i hope you have better luck regards steve ryan.

Hi Steve I worked at C&A at about that time, what department did she work in, I was in ground floor Knitwear.

hi carol i dont know what department she worked at but she was quite small and bubbly she was in dr barnados home with me in moseley back then i have tried so hard to find her she helped me so much then i need to repay her kindness i have never forgot it she was my angel thank you for replying to my message carol can i add you as a friend on the birmingham history site thank you again greards steve.

Steve was Porter her maiden name, as there are a few marriages on Ancestry for the surname Porter. Was Anne her first name? I only say this because sometimes people arent always called by their first name? Carol.

hi carol yes her maiden name was porter she had short mousey hair and as i said was quite bubbly had a loud infectious laugh which was great thank you steve.

Steve, it makes it a little harder as she could have got married and therefore now a different name which will make it harder to find for you, unless someone can remember her as Porter. Good luck. Carol

hi carol thank you for your help iam glad someone took the time to help me can we keep intouch as a friend as i could do with some by the way anne would be in her mid to late 50s now just a bit younger than me thank you again kind regards steve.

I have been following this as I loved shopping at C&A I understand Steve has a more personal reason for his search. I hope you can find Anne as she obviously had a big impact on your life. Good luck maybe a google search will bring her here.

When I worked at C&A there were a few of us who had to change our name on the floor as there was someone there with the same name,??

I was not employed by C&A but worked in the building in the early 60s. Sir W.G.Armstrong Whitworth had an office there and we worked on the 4 engine Argosy Freighter. Not a great success story but they made a few.

hi wendy thank you for your message i have tried allsorts of sites to try and find her ie google,facebook,friends reunited ect and you are right she she did and still has a big impact on my life at the moment iam in contact with a site called making connections run by dr barnados they cant get in contact with her so they are going to go through the nhs which will cost me £33.00 which will be well worth it if they can trace her for me but i was told it could take weeks to sort out but i can wait for as long as it takes thank you wendy kind regards steve ryan.

hi carol i only know her as anne porter i dont know if she changed her name cause someone else had the same first name regards steve.

C&A on Corporation Street. Remember being stuck on buses in the snow? Soaking wet floor, steamed up windows, smoke clinging to your clothes if you sat on the top deck? Plenty of time to view the items for sale in the C&A windows!! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366925300.375676.jpg

Back