• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

C & A Modes Corporation street

I used to shop there in the late 50s early 60s and I rarely went in by the front doors but by the back door in a passageway ,was that in Union passage? I remember you had to go down some steps as you went into the building.

Alberta

This is the Union passage / Warwick Passage entrance in the late 1990's they obviously changed the floor levels in the 1970's revamp.

City Union Passage - Warwick Passage 1999.jpg

Another earlier image of C & A Modes on Corporation Street in 1951 next door to the Odeon or was it still the Paramount then?

City New St 1951.jpg

My wife bought her wedding dress in 1959 from C & A and I am sure it was from the modern looking shop on Corporation Street. She certainly bought a bargain of a suede coat from there in 1962 just before we left Birmingham and again I am sure it was from the modern looking shop.

Bob

I am sure it was open well before 1971 as I remember going before then.
Many thanks for all the replies, it would appear that the pic. I was referring to concerned the opening of the "new" store, this must have been just one of many "new" openings for C&A over the years. The att. shows the pic that I mentioned in my previous message.

Attachments

• Old-Birmingham-shops-C&A 1971.jpg
    Old-Birmingham-shops-C&A 1971.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 15
I use to shop there in the early 70s and the one memory I have is the big dressing room with mirrors that everyone shared they had no individual cubicles which I preferred .they changed it back to cubicles soon after I suppose everybody complained.I also use to shop in Chelsea girl which there was one in the bullring center it was the in shop to go to in the 70s but in the 80s which I did not know it merged in with river island stores I just thought it had shut down.

Took a minor detour from Union Street onto Union Passage this morning. But before heading up Warwick Passage to Corporation Street, got this photo of the back of what is now New Look. Looks like a ship. I rarely take photos down here (in fact this is my first photo down here in 10 years).

The store in #99 was built in 1955. The earlier shop was bombed during WW2 and two shops were opened in New St and High Street until the large Corporation Street one was built. Sounds stat3 if the art for the time. In this clipping there are 4 floors, but I think the building now has 5 floors. Viv.

3D489E76-2E4A-40A5-AF2A-E228AE57233C.jpeg

Got these details out of my Pevsner book.

(Former) Beattie's store, formerly C & A, of 1949, extended 1958 and 1969 by North & Partners, linked with their work on New Street. Glass top story of 2000.

Although that might refer to Corporation Street and not Union Passage / Warwick Passage.

Welcome localmike. That’s correct - New Street (and High Street) was opened when the Corporation Street shop was bombed in WW2 and until the replacement Corporation Street shop was built. Viv.

Back