• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bywaters

I worked here from 1965 till 1969 in the meat assembly dept preparing the ingredients for sausages,mincing the meat adding the salts and seasoning. The main entrance was in Greenway St, but there were others one was behind the pub we used to call the Wrexham, where we spent many a dinner time. One of the perks was we always had hot pies from the bakehouse when we were peckish. I met some great people there we had some good times. Did anyone else work there?

Does anyone remember a lady who worked in the despatch area called Rene Wheeldon? she worked there most of her life. She is my Grandmother and we are celebrating her 100th Birthday in November, it would be nice if anyone who knew her could get in touch

I worked at Bywaters during the school summer holidays during 1969 and again in 1970 I wasn't quite 15 in 1969 which was the legal age to work at that time but I told them that I was and they set me on. Easy going times! I spent both summers pushing pig carcases from the slaughterhouse into the cold store as well as helping out in the cellar injecting brine into sides of pork. I went back to work there in 73/74 by which time it had been taken over by Roberts & Birch or Robirch as they were known. I worked in the cookhouse at that time operating a machine that pressed hams. I remember that there was no shortage of pubs in that area, including several on the Coventry Rd.

I worked at Bywaters during the school summer holidays during 1969 and again in 1970 I wasn't quite 15 in 1969 which was the legal age to work at that time but I told them that I was and they set me on. Easy going times! I spent both summers pushing pig carcases from the slaughterhouse into the cold store as well as helping out in the cellar injecting brine into sides of pork. I went back to work there in 73/74 by which time it had been taken over by Roberts & Birch or Robirch as they were known. I worked in the cookhouse at that time operating a machine that pressed hams. I remember that there was no shortage of pubs in that area, including several on the Coventry Rd.

Did you remember my Nan Irene (Rene) Wheldon, she worked there all her working life.

Sorry about the late reply as I have been absent from this site for a while. I may have met your Nan but unfortunately don't remember her name.

This was a really buzzing area at the time of that map and well into the 1970's. Bit of a wasteland now, very sadly.

Quite a few companies described their premises or products as 'model'. It seemed odd at the time, to me, but I eventually found out that it simply meant that it was something to be imitated or compared to favourably.

Quite a few companies described their premises or products as 'model'. It seemed odd at the time, to me, but I eventually found out that it simply meant that it was something to be imitated or compared to favourably.
I remember that it was very logically laid out, with live pigs coming in at one end and a huge variety of pork products leaving despatch at the other end of the complex, with all the various production areas in separate sections dependent on product.

I worked here from 1965 till 1969 in the meat assembly dept preparing the ingredients for sausages,mincing the meat adding the salts and seasoning. The main entrance was in Greenway St, but there were others one was behind the pub we used to call the Wrexham, where we spent many a dinner time. One of the perks was we always had hot pies from the bakehouse when we were peckish. I met some great people there we had some good times. Did anyone else work there?
I also worked in Bywaters Greenaway St started August 1960

I also worked at Bywaters , I married Allan Williams who use to make all the pastry for the pie and sausage rolls . I worked in the office sales department. I would bring all the paper work saying so and so want this and that

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Hi all. In the late 40 and 50s one of the highlights of the week for us kids was to watch the unloading of the animals at Bywaters which I think took place on a Sunday because they blocked the Coventry Rd to get the right angle for the lorry ramp, sometimes one would escape and send us all running for safety on top of the old Air raid shelters opposite, our favourite of course was if a cow got out then it was a sight to behold as they tried to recapture it
Regards. Acklam19.

Even though mum worked for Bywaters I don’t remember ever having one of their pork pies, probably because I wasn’t a big fan of pork pie. Mum must have brought them home because she loved pork pie. She especially liked them just a little warm. And we had plenty of cheese from the shop - remember her cutting it with a wire. I also remember her slicing ham on the slicing machine, lovely stuff. I’m pretty certain the Bywaters shop she worked at was the next shop along to Kirtons newsagents in this photo ( ie to the right of Kirtons). The #29 bus is travelling along Kingstanding Road. I remember a sense of being high up when you looked out of the shop window across to Hawthorn Road whereas the shops further to the right are lower down. Viv.

7F4D1B6D-1790-4FF1-8449-7214BFF8C2CD.jpeg

Even though mum worked for Bywaters I don’t remember ever having one of their pork pies, probably because I wasn’t a big fan of pork pie. Mum must have brought them home because she loved pork pie. She especially liked them just a little warm. And we had plenty of cheese from the shop - remember her cutting it with a wire. I also remember her slicing ham on the slicing machine, lovely stuff. I’m pretty certain the Bywaters shop she worked at was the next shop along to Kirtons newsagents in this photo ( ie to the right of Kirtons). The #29 bus is travelling along Kingstanding Road. I remember a sense of being high up when you looked out of the shop window across to Hawthorn Road whereas the shops further to the right are lower down. Viv.

View attachment 171869
Ah yes! The 29 bus and #5 tram were my most used transportation, and we have a cheese cutter that uses wire that seems to be a magnet for grandchildren!

Back