• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bywaters

formula t

master brummie
I worked here from 1965 till 1969 in the meat assembly dept preparing the ingredients for sausages,mincing the meat adding the salts and seasoning. The main entrance was in Greenway St, but there were others one was behind the pub we used to call the Wrexham, where we spent many a dinner time. One of the perks was we always had hot pies from the bakehouse when we were peckish. I met some great people there we had some good times. Did anyone else work there?

my dad worked there untill 1940 when he left and went to war,
he did,nt work in the factory he was in the shop.
i have a photo of him outside the shop.
happy days regards dereklcg

Hello dereklcg The shop was on the coventry rd when i was there, so i assume it always had been,it would be nice to see the photo of your dad outside, you will have to put it on the forum one of the days. all the best formula t.

Bywaters................. As an electrical apprentice, I worked there for several weeks in about 1970/71 completing extensive rewiring of the company. For my sins, I was given the work in the large refrigerators were the carcases ended-up after slaughter?

I remember it well, solely because it was so, so cold in the friges and as such, I had to travel to Bywaters on the bus in the middle of a blazing hot summer with woolen hat and gloves, jumper and a donkey jacket..... Mabz

My mom (Betty Williams) was Secretary to the Managing Director (Reg Blanning) for many years in the 60's and 70s.

Hello derek, nice photos of your dad, the shop was a lot different then. In the late 60s it seemed bigger,they may have extended next door?. Thanks for sharing your photos. All the best formula t

First job I had worked in the ham making dept. then in despatch ( got to wear orange cap ) used to start at five a.m. to load delivery vans and finish about 0ne pm. Left in 64 to join Royal Navy, any one know
when Bywaters closed or any more photos.

I worked in stock control with Eamon(Mac),Johnny Dennis and Noel for a few months about 1971

I am in touch with a lady who is making a memory book for a friend. The lady has asked for any info and mainly photo's of Bywaters. If it's possible can members on this thread re post the lost photo's and post any they have. It will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a Bywaters shop in Tewkesbury a few years ago when we fetched our rescue dog. Wonder if they are the same Bywater family?.

This lady is asking specifically for photo's and memories of Bywater's Meat Factory in Greenway Street, Small Heath. These books can be so helpful I hope we can find some pictures.

I think this was a phot which was originally posted. I have adjusted the contarst a little to make it clearer

bywaters_shopA_coventry_rd.jpg

Thank you Mike I hope the lady can see these. I am sure she will contact me if not.

Back