• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buying a good webcam and how many MB does a 1 hr call via Skype use up?

judith allport

master brummie
Hello everyone. I need a good webcam with a built in microphone. I have a pair of speakers. Presumably I don't need headphones. Can someone give me some ideas. I use windows 7. I had thought that the Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 might be a good one. Has anyone got this one? I have also been looking at a Logitec C170. How does that compare? Does anyone know?
Also do Skype calls use up many KB's? Many thanks.

Hi Judith, as I don't use Skype I am not the best one to advise you, but I do know that there is no need to pay dear for a webcam and also I think you may be better off with headphones with a microphone attached...like this one....https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=headphones+with+microphone&sprefix=headphones%2Caps%2C0. My son uses these type to talk to people when he is on gaming sites. As for the bandwidth Skype uses I would'nt have a clue. Sorry I cannot be of much more help to you. I am sure someone will be along soon who will be better to advise you. All the best

Terry

hi judeith
I can recomend to you personaly if you contact me you will get the correct answers you need and the sales of a web camera and head sets at half the price
of amazons cost and with a fast 24 hr turn around for your questions and its free ; beleive me ; and the sales of web cams and head sets are
the cheapest around ; even maplins ; pc world and currys departments ; even if you do not buy from them cad ; is cheaper than them al garanteed
the info ; ofyour question will be free; you do not have to purchase any item from them beleive me ;they serve world wide seven days aweek
be careful if you are offered dr drays head sets from markets as they are copies but also you do not have to splash out on expensive head sets
and like you was told you do not have to buy the speakers a decent head set is what you really need to be honest with the micophone
is all you need ; have your self a nice day best wishes astonian;; , alan ;

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - I am not a regular Skyper - where are they when needed? However I find I do not need a headset nor a separate microphone. The Logitech camera I use has a microphone built in - my wife's 'Net Book' has both a camera and microphone built in by the way. The one you mention looks pretty good to me and though Alan's recommendation is a good one for us UK residents you should find one a bit closer to home. As for usage take a look here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bernie,
I do want to use the webcam to see my overseas relatives.
Judith
Hi - I am not a regular Skyper - where are they when needed? However I find I do not need a headset nor a separate microphone. The Logitech camera I use has a microphone built in - my wife's 'Net Book' has both a camera and microphone built in by the way. The one you mention looks pretty good to me and though Alan's recommendation is a good one for us UK residents you should find one a bit closer to home. As for usage take a look here.

Back