• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buttons ltd aston birmingham

found a little info on the firm, still looking for employees LOL
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]Buttons Ltd., Birmingham. In 1913 they had three works sites in Birmingham, Portland Street, Worstone Lane and Clissold Street making buttons, buckles and stampings. Some buttons were also made in London. . They also sold suitable dies and button making machinery. Trademarks included 'Thre Domes' and crossed swords. Now a division of Francis Sumner Engineering Co.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times] [/FONT]

My mom worked at Buttons, Portland St, 1951 to 1953. She worked in the Spray Shop Outwork Dept. She tells me that when the buttons were finished they used to send them out to people who would sew them onto card before shipping them to the various shops

My late mother had a friend who worked at Buttons Ltd with the surname Harthill. She was the third generation to work there.

The only other info that I can find is that the cross swords trademark was 1907, and that the company was formed from the merger of 3 smaller factories. This may account for the 3 sites mentioned above.

Best wishes Peter

Looking briefly in Kellys the first mention of Buttons Limited that I can find is 1908, and the sites are Clissold st and Warstone Lane.

In 1912 it has only one site mentioned being Portland Street, off Lichfield Road, and this is where the factory was when my mother's friend worked there.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place. I'm trying to date some Air Force buttons I have. They were made by Buttons Ltd and on the reverse have "Buttons Ltd B'ham" and "Trade Mark" with an open pair of scissors between the 2 words.
My Googling so far has just thrown up "1900's". Does anyone have a better idea, i.e. First or Second World War or even 1950s???

Thanks to all you experts out there!

Helo Davidflower. Can't help you only to say that my mother's first job was making 'soldiers buttons in' 1918; and I remember her telling me that her first was packet was £1. 08d. Miriam.

Thanks Miriam. My Gran was a printer in the button trade and her step father was a horn button maker. The family moved up from East London between the 1901 and the 1911 census.

My mother went to a factory from school in 1921 to sew white linen buttons onto cards. She lived in Cattell Road Small Heath but I do not know where the factory was or the name but I assume it would not be far from Small Heath.

My mum was the cook there in the early 50s, May Nutt although some called her Biddie.
Can’t remember much other than she working there.

I worked at a company named Francis Sumner Ltd in 1976. Buttons Ltd was part of the same group. Amongst other things we manufactured regimental buttons and other diverse products from group companies such as the Featherlite products. We also made buckles which were use in Mothercare products. I looked afer the metal stores, which were in a cellar. I keep the coiled metal, including some nickel silver which was used for the buttons. The factory was off Litchfield Road.

I worked at a company named Francis Sumner Ltd in 1976. Buttons Ltd was part of the same group. Amongst other things we manufactured regimental buttons and other diverse products from group companies such as the Featherlite products. We also made buckles which were use in Mothercare products. I looked afer the metal stores, which were in a cellar. I keep the coiled metal, including some nickel silver which was used for the buttons. The factory was off Litchfield Road.
I think I may have worked as an agency driver for this company in its closing four days.
Easiest days as a driver ever. I had a van with two drops each day and was told not to return until four o'clock.
Happy days,well at least four.

NoddKD the lazy.
I

Back