• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Butchers Small Heath.

walt00

master brummie
Create Thread: Does anyone know the location W.F.Vincent butchers on Coventry Road Small Heath maybe around 1900
The history of Birmingham and its districts.

walt i have moved this thread to the shops section of the forum..may get noticed more there

lyn

All I can find (1908 and after ) is a Walter Vincent, shopkeeper, at 90 Muntz St

I did think thta. Perhaps if Walt could tell us his interest, and what he knows, then we might be able to find out more ?

Having read some of the long list of butchers on the Coventry Road in the 1900 Kelly's directory there seem to be several firms who would have employed a manager. They either had more than one shop on the Coventry Road itself or more than one shop in Birmingham. As the managers are not listed it might be difficult to know where Mr Vincent was employed.

Having read some of the long list of butchers on the Coventry Road in the 1900 Kelly's directory there seem to be several firms who would have employed a manager. They either had more than one shop on the Coventry Road itself or more than one shop in Birmingham. As the managers are not listed it might be difficult to know where Mr Vincent was employed.
I did think thta. Perhaps if Walt could tell us his interest, and what he knows, then we might be able to find out more ?
Yes my interest is i was born Small Heath Coventry Road and some sent me pic on Facebook of W.T.Vincent Butchers Coventry Road Small Heath and i am just at a loss as to where it could be. 1900 was actually only a guess.....Thanks

While there is a lull in these proceedings Mike, Janet, may I ask a general question. When you look up details in Kelly's etc. whose name appears? Some time ago someone, I think Mike, looked up details of what had been a family shop operated by my great grand father, John Williams and then his son, my great uncle, Albert Williams, this was around 1945-1955 and possibly longer. Their names didn't show up as the occupants. The shop was at 322 Clifton Rd B12, if my Google Map navigation is right, certainly very nearby. If these relatives rented the premises would the name that appeared in the directory be that of the landlord? Premises currently Ahmed Estates.

I wasn't sure but have just checked the 1908 Kelly's with the Rate Books and, (picked at random), George Sollis is listed at 79 Albion Road Sparkhill as a wardrobe dealer. He is also listed in the Rate Book as renting the property from Amos Roe. So it seems Kelly's lists the people running the shops. Not sure about houses though - it looks as if it does not list people renting houses only those renting a property used as a business.

Jim - was your family shop a boot repairers? If so it is listed to Jn Williams at 324 Clifton Road in the 1940 Kelly's Directory (this is the last one I can access online).

Don't remember your request,but presume it was some time ago. Possibly I was not in possession of as good a range of kellys then. Certainly the 1946 edition lists Albert Edward Williams, boot repairer. however by 1948 he had presumably sold the business, as it is Peter A. Byrne, boot repairer

Sorry Mike, on checking, the previous look up was from Phil which confirmed your information that the shop was with Peter Byrne by 1948.

Back